Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ritual after you kill first deer? >

Ritual after you kill first deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ritual after you kill first deer?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Ritual after you kill first deer?

Hey Guys,
I am new to hunting and have some buddies that say after you kill your first deer you have to eat the heart raw right in the field. I am guessing they are yanking my chain???
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Ritual after you kill first deer?

Actually tastes pretty good. Kinda likerare backstraps. Every once in a while I will chew a hunk out of it. But no spiritual reason. Just curious. Maybe little hankering for some eggs and bacon after a hard morning hunt. Go for it.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

The beauty of life is that you don't really "have" to do anything.

Spud
Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to reach in, rip the heart out,(preferably while still pumping) open my mouth and take a big bite. All while the blood is running down my clothes. OR MAYBE NOT!!!!!!

I killed my first deer when I was 12 and they tried to get me to eat a piece of the heart also. I let them put blood on my face, but that's it. Don't believe everything you hear!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Lol... in my hunting camp everyone has to kiss their first deer on the lips for a picture. We even go as far as to put lipstick on most of the deer. I did it with my first one. And now all of mycousins are finally old enough to start hunting(12). So for the last few years and hopefully the next few years, the kissing will continue.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM

i dont know about first deer, but when someone killed a deer at our camp last year, wewould havea nice party (actually more of a party becuase we were already drinking lol) just like a celebration i guess, but noone ate any deer hearts lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Normally when I deer hunt I'm not part of a hunting party or hunting camp and dont often go deer hunting with my buddies. For me, my ritual starts the second I get out there. Its called hunting, and its my ritual.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Rituals are whatever you want them to be.Some place blood on the new hunter's forehead and in Europe a green piece of spruce is placed in the hat band.It's more fun in one camp I hunted back East if you missed a deer they cut the bill off your cap and ragged you the rest of the season.I lost a long time hunting buddy when I was in my early 20's so I wore a black arm band opening day.When I shot a deer that morning I dipped the arm band in the blood in rememberance of him,said a few words and tied it to a tree limb at the kill site............I still think of him every timeI hunt or wield a gun......Harold
Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 PM

I always bury the heart and male genitalia out of respect for the glorious creature. Of course the last few years I haven't had to bury any. TAG SOUP!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
OGW

32 Years ago I got my Face Painted when I got my first.
My Dad did it with his fingers from the blood on my knife...After I did my first Field Dressing Job!

Quick Reply: Ritual after you kill first deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.