Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 MD hunters, need opinion on public land >

MD hunters, need opinion on public land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

MD hunters, need opinion on public land

Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Default MD hunters, need opinion on public land

i posted this in another sec by mistake, sorry, and thought it would be better in this sec. thanks
hey all. my search for private land isnt going to well, so i should prepare to hunt on public land while im continuing my search. i live in Baltimore county, and last year i jus went to a few WMA's around here (elk neck state park and gwynbrook wma) and hunted ona last minute of yearthing, hoping to get lucky. this year, i want to have1 or 2lands that i can start to scout and be confident in. i want them to be under an hour away from baltimore co., b/c im going to be hunting mornings alot - staying at my house, waking up very early and driving 30-45 minutes tothe spot.i plan to do this alot, so i dont want to have to drive 2 hours. does anyone have any suggestions for good public land within 45min-hour of baltimore: land with good deer #'s, not too extreme hunting pressure, etc. i could jus look on DNR website, but they dont give a feel for what the land is like, which i was hoping to get from you. dont give me your secret spot lol, just a general idea. thanks a milllion, i need to start scouting soon [8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: MD hunters, need opinion on public land

I assume you are talking about bow? If so, I have killed dozens ofdeer at liberty, prettyboy, and patapsco. All within 40min. As far as gun goes, not much around you. But you can hunt Fort Meade with slug gun, but have to qualify and not much scouting. You also have aberdeen, which has some big deer on it.

I am hunting Wye Island this year. but you have to go across the bridge. I still hunt blackwater, and assateague for sika.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM

bigcountry - yea i was wanting something for bow mainly, shotgun i always like to take trips to make the most of it ya know, sort of like the year hunting trip. i had property last year in WV, but i think my friend lost it so i will have to find somewhere else to go and camp or whatever. when does the deadline for prettyboy end? i know u have to get qualified before hunting there, but wasnt sure when the dealine date is. thanks alot for all the info
Old 08-06-2007, 03:40 PM
bigcountry

No qualification for prettyboy that I know of for bow. Its ran just like liberty. Send in your info, and your good.