HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer trail tip (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/200210-deer-trail-tip.html)

robbcayman 08-01-2007 01:58 PM

Deer trail tip

A buddy was telling me to run a 1 pound monofilament fishing line across a suspected deer highway. What you do is run the fishing line about waist high and if you come back in a week and the line is brokendeer are using the trail. Has anyone ever tried this? I need to remember this guy tried to take me snipe hunting too. [:@]:D

Wingbone 08-01-2007 05:26 PM

RE: Deer trail tip

It's an old trick called "stringing" trails. You don't need monofilament, just white sewing thread. Tie one end to a shrub and drape a length across the trail. As the deer passes, the thread will play out in the direction of travel. Only you don't wait a week. If you lay the thread in the evening, you check it later the next morning to see if they're using the trail in the evening or morning. To reset just re-lay the thread back across the trail. Before scouting cameras, it was a good way to pattern deer movement.

robbcayman 08-01-2007 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply wingbone. Yeah, I have several cameras out in the area but there are several places that look like escape routes and I don't want to waste a camera on. Plus, all my cameras are on feeders.

bsurplus2003 08-01-2007 08:20 PM

They make a trail timer that is cheap, when the deer go through the line it pulls a pin, and that stops the clock, so then you can time your hunt.....
Brett

robbcayman 08-01-2007 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bsurplus2003

They make a trail timer that is cheap, when the deer go through the line it pulls a pin, and that stops the clock, so then you can time your hunt.....
Brett
I was not aware of that I am going to check that out. This will help me to tell if it is a night trail or not. Thanks Brett!!!!

Almiarhunter 08-01-2007 09:05 PM

I think ive seen those. I think they are like 10-15 dollars.

Redneck Bowhunter 08-01-2007 11:26 PM

I have seen them at Walmart, check your local one and maybe they have them.

drs1961 08-02-2007 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: bsurplus2003

Brett
I was not aware of that I am going to check that out. This will help me to tell if it is a night trail or not. Thanks Brett!!!!
I bought a few about15 years ago. I haven't seen them in a while with all the new electronic gizmos out now. Somebody should still have some though.

j.r buckmaster 08-02-2007 02:49 PM

yes my buddy has done it nd it works great

Steelcity 08-02-2007 09:09 PM

TRAIL TIMERS WORK GOOD, I GOT MINE FOR LIKE 10 BUCKS