Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Climber stand
72.22%
Rangefinder
27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

which is most important

Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default which is most important

Ok, Ive spent ALOT of money this year and now I need to choose between a stand or a rangefinder. (funds are gone after that) I have a ground blind but I enjoy the hunt more from the treetops, however I would also like the ability to range my shots precisly sp.? Which is most important?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: which is most important

If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about it. Stand.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Definatly a stand, you can always walk off yardage from the stand, you can even mark your distances with surveyors tape, it is kinda hard to hang off a limb and shoot your bow, beleive me Ive tried!.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted deer over 35 years, just bought my first range finder last year...Bought my first climber in the '70s..
remember the Baker, its a wonder I'm still alive...
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bassman417

Ok, Ive spent ALOT of money this year and now I need to choose between a stand or a rangefinder.
I'm very surprised that you've spent a "lot" of money and still have yet to get a LRF ? [&:]A must-have bowhunting item in my opinion. I don't even think I know a single bowhunter who doesn't use one and I'm actually shocked that folks on this thread aren't all suggestingone! I mean, surely you have enough stands already?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: bassman417

Ok, Ive spent ALOT of money this year and now I need to choose between a stand or a rangefinder.
I'm very surprised that you've spent a "lot" of money and still have yet to get a LRF ? [&:]A must-have bowhunting item in my opinion. I don't even think I know a single bowhunter who doesn't use one and I'm actually shocked that folks on this thread aren't all suggestingone! I mean, surely you have enough stands already?

Exactly. My rangefinder is a must have.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

I know ILcornfed, but I "used" to have a few hang on stands. My brother started hunting so I gave him one. One just disappeared one day leaving me with only one stand. That stand was stolen late season last year. Im not sure how they got it but they worked hard for it. I had two chains, and im talking LOG chains attaching it to the tree so that it would possibly discourage people from taking my last stand, but it didnt work. As for the rangefinder Ive never been good at saving money so I never had enough to buy one. This year I just paid off my bow, got a dozen arrows, new shotgun, target, ammo. Spent $1000 in 1 1/2 days. Then realized I had only enough money for one, and I dont really want to hunt off the ground (ground blind) again. But I dont want to misjudge distance either. I can usually judge within a yd or two, but I also step it off to certain points as well and its getting old. Thanks everyone for the replys hope this makes my choice easier.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 PM

Climber stand would do me no good at all. Ever see someone try setting up a tree stand in 3 foot high sage brush?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know.I hunt from the ground with a Crossbow,only have one Pin.Figure I can tell close enough to either aim a little high or low.

Figure if I had a Dollar burning a hole in my Pocket it would have to be a Stand.

big rockpile
Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM

I would have to say a climber for sure. it gives you lots of mobility in the deep woods. I have a range finder, but since shooting 3D and learning yardage better, a climber is definately more important. I guess it depends on your budget and which one suits you better. Good Luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: which is most important

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.