Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Afternoon Deer?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Afternoon Deer?

Okay, most hunts I have been on hunters typically got their deer in the morning or at night. I am wondering how many deer are actually killed in the afternoon? Is it a waste of time to be in a stand, say from 11:00 -3:00 odds wise?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Afternoon Deer?

At the right time of the year (rut especially) there is always a chance of seeing a deer at any time of the day. There is also the good chance that another hunter getting out of their stand at 10 AM or so will spook a deer out by you. Besides that, other than catching up on the Young and the Restless what else are you going to do during the middle of the day?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen deer while I was in my stand during those hours. I read that most mature bucks usually come out during that time frame because they have to come out and eat and drink. And like timbercruiser said, during the the rut anything can happen
Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

one time i had about 5-6 dear come out into a field at like 3 pm lay down on the edge of it and go to sleep then at dusk get up and start feeding when more came around

Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

There has been several times when we were out hunting and didn't see anything in the early mornings so we stayed in our stands and saw Deer moving and feeding around 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.I was hunting with my Daughter on the Youth Hunt last October and we had 2 Deer walk up by us at around 11:30 AM and she shot the younger Doe.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is settled, I will stay in my stand all day. I would love to increase my odds and this year I am thinking of using a call and doe urine. My dad who taught me to hunt would always put in on this little ole road and tell me to wait.

Needless to say after years of sitting there and never seeing anything i.e. probably my scent and moving around I am frustrated. I am going to do itbright this year by using a stand and scent protection, I have food plots, cameras and I am going to scout in 4 weeks. I really want to bag a deer and if there is activity in the afternoon I will be there.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

my buddy knocked down a nice buck (his first) at 12:00
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Near the rut I personally have had more success during mid day then any other time. Outside this timeframe the midday success are notas highbut still worthy of time allocation. I find a lot depends on the location and pressure level towards their movements.Lots of scouting and patience are required for making the mostof daylight hours.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the area. Over the years I've harvested a number of nice bucks between 11-2 and that was during ML, well before the rut. I've noticed a lot of movement especially if there is a weather front moving in. As others have stated, during the rut bucks can show up anytime. Up here we call it, "running stupid". 3 years ago I took a doe on the last day. Before I climbed out of the tree I thought I would have a smoke and just contemplate the season. Half way through the smoke a buck showed up and went and started smelling the doe whom was dead as a doornail 20 yards from my tree. He was getting real excited and started pushing her around with his antlers. I watched for about 2 min. as he tried to get her up. Since my son had a tag yet to fill I dropped him also. Now not only was I having a smoke but the sound of my 7 mm mag going off not 3 min. before he showed up didn't even deter him. Stay in that stand as long as you can. You justnever know, especiaqlly during the rut.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

As these guys said before,during therut I would hunt then. I had a nice 8 point walk out last year around 12 o'clock while I was driving back to the camp. He was definately in rut, he didn't even pay me much attention.

Quick Reply: Afternoon Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.