Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Afternoon Deer?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Afternoon Deer?

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Depends on the area. Over the years I've harvested a number of nice bucks between 11-2 and that was during ML, well before the rut. I've noticed a lot of movement especially if there is a weather front moving in. As others have stated, during the rut bucks can show up anytime. Up here we call it, "running stupid". 3 years ago I took a doe on the last day. Before I climbed out of the tree I thought I would have a smoke and just contemplate the season. Half way through the smoke a buck showed up and went and started smelling the doe whom was dead as a doornail 20 yards from my tree. He was getting real excited and started pushing her around with his antlers. I watched for about 2 min. as he tried to get her up. Since my son had a tag yet to fill I dropped him also. Now not only was I having a smoke but the sound of my 7 mm mag going off not 3 min. before he showed up didn't even deter him. Stay in that stand as long as you can. You justnever know, especiaqlly during the rut.

What????? Killing deer without a valid tag in your name is poaching in my book.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM

sjsfire"What????? Killing deer without a valid tag in your name is poaching in my book. "

Depends what your ragulations say. Up here in Wisconsin you can fill another persons tag as long as they are within hearing distance of you.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crazyguy117

sjsfire"What????? Killing deer without a valid tag in your name is poaching in my book. "

Depends what your ragulations say. Up here in Wisconsin you can fill another persons tag as long as they are within hearing distance of you.

I would have never thought that??? In Illinois it would be a offense. I appologize if I offended whitetaildreamer.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM

What I have noticed is that the movement is more tied to moon phase than anything else. When the moon is right, you may see no movement until 10 or 11 and then nice activity for a couple of hours during the middle of the day.

When the rut comes around, all bets are off.

Also, in early season, if the temprature gets above 60, the movement stops, no matter what the moons says. I have been tracking my deer on tighttrack.com for 5 years and this seems to be consistent over the years.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

NP sjsfire. Up here in Manitoba we have party hunting. That is, when you go into the field you sign the back of each other's licences. Therefore, if you tag out then you can hunt on your partner's licence. (your partnermust be in the field with you). If you noticed, I had stated it was last day and with us it is freezer first. That is why I harvested the doe, which was a perfect broadside shot, rather than hoping a buck was in tow. It was just by chance the buck showed up (and that was the point I was trying to make). What is poaching is when some take other peoples's licences and go into the field (with out the licence holder)to fill them for them. That is poaching and is something (even though I have had many offers due to my success in the field), I have never done.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM

You can see deer anytime of the day if you have the patience to sit. As far as filling someone elses tag; it is legal to "party hunt" in Minnesota, so you can fill another person's tag.