HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Throwing Corn all over? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/199696-throwing-corn-all-over.html)

robbcayman 07-29-2007 09:50 AM

Throwing Corn all over?

The land that I hunt on is 175 miles from my house, so scouting only happens in September. The land is rugged and very thick woods all around over a million plus acres of thick woods surrounds our hunting area.

Anyways, we are using scouting cameras for the very first time. My dad says it is a waste of money to buy a corn spreader because he believes people from the surrounding property will steal it. I'm worried about the cameras as well, but he says if we put up a feeder that will only point out the cameras. So, his idea is to take a bag of corn and throw it around our cameras and rub sites. Is this a bad idea? I figure more small creatures will get to the corn before the deer do. Thoughts?

joejoepeck 07-29-2007 10:01 AM

RE: Throwing Corn all over?

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

The land that I hunt on is 175 miles from my house, so scouting only happens in September. The land is rugged and very thick woods all around over a million plus acres of thick woods surrounds our hunting area.

Anyways, we are using scouting cameras for the very first time. My dad says it is a waste of money to buy a corn spreader because he believes people from the surrounding property will steal it. I'm worried about the cameras as well, but he says if we put up a feeder that will only point out the cameras. So, his idea is to take a bag of corn and throw it around our cameras and rub sites. Is this a bad idea? I figure more small creatures will get to the corn before the deer do. Thoughts?
WellI don't throw it all over, butI just pile it up on the ground. It works well for me. I wouldkeep putting corn out every other day or sothe deer will eventually find it. plus you won't lose you feeder. You also have the option of making a feeder out of supplies found at your local hardware store. Youcan use a long pipe and strap it to a tree put a lid onthe topend and an elbow on the other end so the food comes as they eat it. And you could throw a little on the ground around the mouth of your feeder so they are more likely to find it.

robbcayman 07-29-2007 10:11 AM

WellI don't throw it all over, butI just pile it up on the ground. It works well for me. I wouldkeep putting corn out every other day or sothe deer will eventually find it. plus you won't lose you feeder. You also have the option of making a feeder out of supplies found at your local hardware store. Youcan use a long pipe and strap it to a tree put a lid onthe topend and an elbow on the other end so the food comes as they eat it. And you could throw a little on the ground around the mouth of your feeder so they are more likely to find it.
[/quote]

Well that home made contraption sounds like a good idea. Do the deer have to bump the bucket to make it work or something. Can you give me more details on the elbow thing. Thanks

TimberCreek 07-29-2007 10:15 AM

It will mold from rain. It will cause all the animals, coons, deer etc. to congregate at the same pile. More chance of spread of disease. Some animals will crap in the pile while eating.

joejoepeck 07-29-2007 10:39 AM

Well that home made contraption sounds like a good idea. Do the deer have to bump the bucket to make it work or something. Can you give me more details on the elbow thing. Thanks
Just like the elbows that fit on the end of the pipe, like a large pvc pipe, found at every hardware store out there. and the corn doesn't get thrown out all over place for animals to deficate in and contaminate. And no they don't have to bump it the corn just falls out as they eat it. And it can't get moldy because you keep a lid on the top end (we used an old coffee can turned upside down.)and the deer usually eat it all in a day or 2 anyways. We have used these things a ton of times on our property. and if they get stolen what are you out $10 or $15?

GTOHunter 07-29-2007 12:06 PM

We have a few feeders like JoeJoe described and all it is is plastic sewer pipe,you can get a plastic lid that is made for it and it keeps the weather out of the feeder.We painted ours with camo paint and you can hardly see it if you don't know where it is set up at.Another trick is when you cap off the bottom of the feeder drill a few small holes in it so if it does get any rain in it will drain out.You simply take the lid off,fill it with any type of grain or feed and put the cap back on.As it emptiesthe gravity of the corn or feed will just keep dropping down and lowering as it empties...we used those cheap metal strips to fasten it to the pipe and drywall screw it to a tree.You can make the feeder as long or as short as the length of pipe you use.

Go to any local Hardware Store and see what they have in stock for you to use and like JoeJoe stated if someone steals the feeder your only out a few dollars and personal labor.

robbcayman 07-29-2007 01:37 PM

Sounds simple enough, I will give it a try. Thanks Fellas

joejoepeck 07-29-2007 08:15 PM

Sounds simple enough, I will give it a try. Thanks Fellas
No problem man, good luck this year.

BowHunterFett 07-30-2007 12:16 AM

Do you guys put a 90 and a 45 on the end or a 90 and another 90, or what? Sounds like a heck of an idea, never thought of making something like that, it soundslike some of the dog/cat feeders you see.

wis_bow_huntr 07-30-2007 06:03 AM

Youre always better off scattering your corn versus placing it in a pile, this will make the deer look for it and not stand on a pile, less chance of spreading disease as well if you scatter it versus placing the corn in piles.