Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Throwing Corn all over?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Throwing Corn all over?

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I actually think deer prefer hand thrown corn as upposed to a feeder, deer seem to associate a feeder with danger.
I agree. I have seen those homemade PVC feeders in the woods, you gotta be kidding me. That is very unnatural, not to mention you wont get a big buck to near one during the day.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bryant1

I agree. I have seen those homemade PVC feeders in the woods, you gotta be kidding me. That is very unnatural, not to mention you wont get a big buck to near one during the day.
Have you ever used one? Because I have, and I have seen it work man. Last year, first day of bow season, I had 2 nice 6 points right there chowing down at the ol' pvc feeder.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joejoepeck

Have you ever used one? Because I have, and I have seen it work man. Last year, first day of bow season, I had 2 nice 6 points right there chowing down at the ol' pvc feeder.
I agree that the deer are probably leary of them for a little bit, but the corn overrides their judgment as you know.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: joejoepeck

I agree that the deer are probably leary of them for a little bit, but the corn overrides their judgment as you know.
They can't resist lol. At the same time
I have seen deer walk up to corn that was thrown all over the ground and they smell it and run away. Deer just have to get use things.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM

I agree with some of the others. I like to spread it around, because you get more deer in the area. I think some doe groups tend to claim a pile to themselves. Plus when spread around a buck will wander around and you will get a variety of different poses of the antlers. JMO
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't think a coon can get to a PVC feeder, or any feeder for that matter, you haven't had much experience with coons. If you are just trying to get pictures of what deer are in the area, the best way is to just throw it out (not pile up) in front of your camera.

The only way to keep away coons, squirrels, hogs, crows or any resident critters away from corn in the woods is to stand guard 24 hours of the day and then, the coons will still outsmart you. The squirrels will just overwhelm youin numbers.Of course I don't think the deer will understand you are guarding it just for them.

C. Davis

Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

If you don't think a coon can get to a PVC feeder, or any feeder for that matter, you haven't had much experience with coons. If you are just trying to get pictures of what deer are in the area, the best way is to just throw it out (not pile up) in front of your camera.

The only way to keep away coons, squirrels, hogs, crows or any resident critters away from corn in the woods is to stand guard 24 hours of the day and then, the coons will still outsmart you. The squirrels will just overwhelm youin numbers.Of course I don't think the deer will understand you are guarding it just for them.

C. Davis

LOL!!!! I know what you are saying, but I am just trying to keep thecoons and their cousins fromgetting as much. If it is just sitting on the ground they don't have to work too hard to get to it.Anyways, I bought another camera a few nights ago and I will just pile corn at that location to see which works best. This will be a scientific study of sorts.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think its the animal urine that contaminates the corn and spreads disease. It is the deer saliva that passes on the diseases (CWD). At least that's what those in the know at the Illinios DNR promote. That's why feeding stations have been made illegal.