Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Throwing Corn all over?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Throwing Corn all over?

Dont worry with that, just spread the corn in a 30 foot by 30 foot square in front of the camera. I have had cameras out weekly for a month now, deer will like this better with the corn on the ground. It is more natural for the deer to graze while eating, and they will start eating it immediately.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I don't like the throwing corn everywhere is I will most likely attract more squirrels and other rodents before more of the deer can get to it. Plus, animals urinating in the corn could spread disease. So, I have decided to make two different types of feeders. The first one is the one on here with a PVC tube and a 90 on the end.

The second, is a 5 gallon bucket (camo) drill inch and a half holes around the sides put the lid on and fill with corn. Then I am going to string it up from a tree about 3 feet high, and place some loose corn below it. The idea is for deer to hit the bucket with their head or feet and it will kick out corn. I'm hoping this will minimize other rodents from stealing the corn. One of my buddies did this and said he had great success with it. I will try both here in a month and let you guys know the results.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: BowHunterFett

Do you guys put a 90 and a 45 on the end or a 90 and another 90, or what? Sounds like a heck of an idea, never thought of making something like that, it soundslike some of the dog/cat feeders you see.
We've done both before. I myself like one large pipe straight up and down with the bottom part between 6" and 12" from the ground. The farther the open end is from the ground the larger the pile will be because it will let more food out of the pipe. Yeah it is just like the dog/cat feeders. One of the best things I like about this contraption is squirrels and other critters can't eat all of it before the deer get to it.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

This does work very well, but I used a big barrel instead, with the same general Idea though. I did put out my trail camera and I couldnt believe all the stinking coons. I thought the squirrels would be my main concern. I will tell you that the deer around here anyways will hit the corn every night once the snow hits the ground.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually think deer prefer hand thrown corn as upposed to a feeder, deer seem to associate a feeder with danger.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:16 AM

I put a mineral block out and throw corn out until they find the block and then I quit putting corn out.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 AM

You don't want this.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bwhunter

You don't want this.
LOL!!!!!! That is exactly what I don't want. That is why I am thinking the 5 gallon bucket may work better. Also, I am going to throw a mineral block out there, it can't hurt.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM

I pulled my feeder out because the coon s found it.[:@]
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM

Mineral block and salt will keep the deer comming back.

Quick Reply: Throwing Corn all over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.