HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what to look for when buying hunting land (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/199482-what-look-when-buying-hunting-land.html)

bigtim6656 07-27-2007 01:34 PM

what to look for when buying hunting land

i am planing to buy some hunting land this winter or early spring
now my plans are kind of givin to any hunter i plan to put in a foodplotand some stands now my question is what do i look for when i go to buy land
1 should i buy next to public hunting woods like fish and wildlife or so on as there are a few large parks near me thatlet you hunt there
2 how much land do i get i am thinking a min of about5 maybe up to 10it's cheap enough which were i am at might be possiable is 5 enough it would bejust me maybe a friend or two every so often after i get mine baged first lollol
3 do i buyland with a watersourcejust dig a pond after i buy
4 food plot wise for mainlybow hunting do i wont a lot of woods with littleclearing or the other way aroud and how much food plot do i need to but in to draw those big deer in
any other tips to help me get the best out of my money and time it will take to make it a good spot will help

Red Lion 07-27-2007 01:43 PM

RE: what to look for when buying hunting land

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am planing to buy some hunting land this winter or early spring
now my plans are kind of givin to any hunter i plan to put in a foodplotand some stands now my question is what do i look for when i go to buy land
1 should i buy next to public hunting woods like fish and wildlife or so on as there are a few large parks near me thatlet you hunt there
2 how much land do i get i am thinking a min of about5 maybe up to 10it's cheap enough which were i am at might be possiable is 5 enough it would bejust me maybe a friend or two every so often after i get mine baged first lollol
3 do i buyland with a watersourcejust dig a pond after i buy
4 food plot wise for mainlybow hunting do i wont a lot of woods with littleclearing or the other way aroud and how much food plot do i need to but in to draw those big deer in
any other tips to help me get the best out of my money and time it will take to make it a good spot will help
I have to wait about 5 years to buy my land so envious of you for being closeto buying.
With that said, I think it would be wise to buy as much land as you can afford, butthat does not mean you need hundreds of acres. I guess I would prefer at least 40-50 acres in order to have room to plant, to have options for stands givendifferent wind directions among other things.
Having land off of state/public land is what I will look to do,but it likely has pluses and minuses. Plus being you, in a way have moreland than just that that you own. Minues being if it, public land is heavily used by others, you may have other hunter coming on your land or at least setting up right next to your land.
If you can get land already having a pond or other water source, great, but you can build one yourself as well.
As far as food plots go, I am far from an expert, but you cando a search on the QDM forum on this site and likely get good info. I have read/heard that even small plots plantedwith the right stuff will attract deer.

Good luck!

trailer 07-27-2007 02:47 PM

I also would say to try and purchase as much land as possible as Red Lion mentioned. Personally I wouldn’t buy any land near public land unless I had a fence to show a distinct line between properties. I have a combination of 410 acres with my land and lease land and sometime find it isn’t enough depending on weather conditions for hunting. I have a combination of marsh land, wooded area and fields for hunting and find it works very well for all my hunting. Good Luck...

Lanse couche couche 07-27-2007 02:52 PM

Unless you have a lot of money to work with, you may not have a lot of choice in the matter. My main thing would be making sure that the land is not in a position to get caught up in urban sprawl. What seems to be way out in the country now may end up with a subdivision across the road in a few years. The other issue is to make sure that the mineral rights are not held by someone who is likely to come put an oil well right in the middle of your land.

DougMD 07-27-2007 04:34 PM

I own 120 myself, and would say that, though I haven't had a problem yet, having private landowning neighbors may be problematic if they decide to cut up their land and sell a lot of individual lots. Then you might have lots of people hunting nearby, with an eye toward slipping on your land. At least with public land, you know it won't be developed right next to you with lots of people in the area. Preferably, the public land will have limited access near where you border it. And last of all, if you're only buying 5 or 10 acres, it is even more important to back up to woods with lots of deer. With that small of a parcel of land, deer will figure you out quick and you won't be able to hunt it effectively for more thana few consecutive days.