HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The ad asks "How many hunters do you see? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/199468-ad-asks-how-many-hunters-do-you-see.html)

Dunezilla 07-27-2007 12:22 PM

The ad asks "How many hunters do you see?

"Do deer see the world as we see it?" This is a question worth pondering.

Another question worth pondering is.... "How can hunters wishing to get close to deer, wear bright orange and have deer walk by them at very close distances?"

Yet another good question is....are we falling for all these sale gimmics, Such as "Buy our colour or patteren of camo for it works the best" They want you to feel that thier camo well have the same appearance to a deer that it has to a human." How many hunting madizines have you read which asked the question...."How many hunters do you see in this picture?"

"How many hunters do you see in this picture?".....I ask who gives a flip about how many hunters we see in the picture....where looking at the picture through our eyes and not the eyes of a deer, or any animal for that matter.

They question these manufacturers should be asking is...."How many hunters does the deer see in this picture" or any other animal. That is the most important of all questions.

Are we spending way to much money these days on camo clothing, do we need all this fancy stuff? Are the deer really that smart? Man some magizines make deer to be some super creature, while they make us look weak. Think about it how didour fore fathers for many,many, many years hunt without camo? All they had was a plaid coat and some brown pants on while out hunting and guess what they killed deer and other animals too. For 20 years I hunted in a green coat (pine colour) and blue jeans or blue coveralls....which is a no.no because deer see blue or ultra violet, yet even then I got real close to the deer or they got close to me. Heck on a number of occassions while hunting in blue I had deer stop straight in front of me and stare at me,... well they ended up beingtable meat for my familly and I. If were going to buy camo patterns or a blaze orange coats then get the ones that are UV treated and have the scent loc logo.

Remember in the eyes of a deercolours such as green, yellow, orange, red and brown are all as shades of yellow in thier eyes.Thanks to the fact that they have no red cones.

So the truth is, that it does not matter ..."how many hunters we see in the picture"...it only matters what the deer see, and deer do not see the world the way we see it.

corndog09 07-27-2007 03:53 PM

RE: The ad asks "How many hunters do you see?

i think alot of it depends on how mature the deer are. i dont spend much on camo clothing because i have come face to face with deer before and they never knew i was there.And alsoI think alot of it depends on if you have good scent blocker. last year while on my first hunt i forgot to put my scent cover on and a doe come within10 yards and she smelt me but she couldnt see me

joejoepeck 07-27-2007 04:31 PM

Well if you look at old videos of Fred Bear he just about always had on khakis, & a plaid flannel shirt on, and he is legendary. So IMO I don't think it matters all that much what camo you use, just as long as you cover your scent. And the thing with "how many hunters can you see?" I think that is kind ofinteresting because I don't think a deer can see as well as we can, and if we can't see them than a deer sure can't.

Dunezilla 07-27-2007 06:58 PM

I agree with both of you that scent killer or scent blocker isone of themain keys to getting real close to the deer, the other key is UV killer or UV blocker. Oh and make as little movement as possible. Deer can see 310 degrees, so I would think that if you can sneak up on the deer from the rear then you may go un-detected.

You never really know what a deer will do when it sees you. I remember back in Nov.2003 walking down a deer trail along with my nephew, and as we were walking along a nice good size doe was walking right beside us, just 5 feet way...holy cow I thought to myself. Well I bagged all my deer already and my nephew was the only one who could shoot it...but it caught us off gaurd and now it picked up speed...and well she lived. Whats even more funny is that my nephew where's shorts while out hunting on a nice fall day.He putshis scent blocker or killer on, and a black wind breaker, with no camo pattern and bang he bags his deer.

BigTiny 07-27-2007 10:12 PM

My first time out Ihad a doe walk right up to me as I sat next to a tree. I was wearing my old uniform in plain woodland camo with a bright orange vest. She looked right at me and never noticed.

Dunezilla 07-28-2007 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My first time out Ihad a doe walk right up to me as I sat next to a tree. I was wearing my old uniform in plain woodland camo with a bright orange vest. She looked right at me and never noticed.
What happen to you was written in a book. I think the book was called John Brown's book :Field guide to animal tracks, or was it his other book. Anyhow he said "set down under a tree and become apart of the tree" then he said "you well be surprized how close the deer well be to you". He said he stuck his arm out asa deer passed by and just the tip of his fingers touched the hide.

So basicly when you lay back on that tree trunk don't move about all that much...just sit back and relax.

sffguitar 07-28-2007 12:52 AM

ya defanantly dont need all that stuff to kill a deer....like my grandfather always said "deer didn't get any tougher" nowadays theres really no need for all these magnum rifles for deer....the good ol thurty thurty can still bring down with ease. but hey its still fun to buy all the best gear, and it doesnt stop me from scannin the catolog for the new stuff:D

8mm/06 07-28-2007 01:41 AM

The ad shoud read "How many hunters do the deer see move, and/or how many hunters do the deer smell, and/or how many of the hunters do the deer hear?"

Chuck7 07-28-2007 03:02 AM

Through all of my expereince in hunting ..I believe scent is the number one. thing. I was talking to a hunting club owner in the pan handle of Florida.They take scent so serious that if you don't pee in a bottle you are kicked out of the club..and if you crab near your stand ..you are out as well. All crap must be buried immediately with a shovel.

whitetaildreamer 07-28-2007 03:07 AM

Camo is more to break up your outline than to totally conseal you. It does assist you when you are sitting against a treeline and the deer are checking the area out before they leave the tree line. If you are downwind then it is movement that will bust you every time. It is harder for the deer to pick up what has exactly moved if your outline is broken up. Things are always moving in the bush so the camo assists you in blending with the surroundings. Whatever you wear it should be washed with a soap with out phospherous. If not, then in a deer's eyes you will be glowing in the dark.