HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Cornfield tactics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/199454-cornfield-tactics.html)

TheformerLives 07-27-2007 10:48 AM

Cornfield tactics

I've deer hunted thick woods every season so far. But this year I will be on a different plot of land with a large corn/wheat field infront of some woods. I was wondering if there are any different tactics for hunting over a corn field than hunting in the woods?
Thanks!

NEW61375 07-27-2007 01:43 PM

RE: Cornfield tactics

Find out when they are going to harvest the corn and be ready to adjust quickly when they do. If the corn is still standing when you start hunting don't be surprised do see deer movement almost any time of the day. Find some of the areas the deer will usually fliter into the field from and post up around therewith the wind in your favor and be prepared to spend a couple of hunts just doing some recon.Also, between the corn and water asourceis often a good location early seasonas well. Once the corn is cut the deers comfortlevel usually drops. They will hit the corn hard after it is cutbutdon't be surprised if they go back to early morning late evening feeding.

WoodsStealth 07-27-2007 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Find out when they are going to harvest the corn and be ready to adjust quickly when they do. If the corn is still standing when you start hunting don't be surprised do see deer movement almost any time of the day. Find some of the areas the deer will usually fliter into the field from and post up around therewith the wind in your favor and be prepared to spend a couple of hunts just doing some recon.Also, between the corn and water asourceis often a good location early seasonas well. Once the corn is cut the deers comfortlevel usually drops. They will hit the corn hard after it is cutbutdon't be surprised if they go back to early morning late evening feeding.
You know what would surprise me? If you actually knew what you were talking about...........thats what would surprise me. "don't be surprised if you see deer movement almost anytime of the day" Tell me Mr. Tigger Suit" instead of a whole paragraph wouldn't a simple,
Deer like to feed early and late in tall or freshly cut corn.
As far as between the corn and a water source, its not like we hunt in the dessert, there are too many sources of water available to make a difference in stand selection. Game trails are the best indication of the routes the deer use to acess the corn.

WestVirginiaHunter 07-27-2007 05:54 PM

Man you have me wanting some fresh deer meat already

WestVirginiaHunter 07-27-2007 06:01 PM

Dude, you must never work. I see stuff on here from you all day and you must be scouting deer in the evenings. Make me jealous. You either have a real good boss or you must work for your self. What part of southeatern Virginia are you located in. I have relatives that live in Windsor but, they don't hunt. I wouldn't mind nailing on e of those big bucks down there. Our deer up here have a big body but a small rack. A nice rack would look good on the wall of my trailer.

Broek 07-27-2007 07:12 PM

If it's irrigated they may never leave the corn as they have food, water, and cover. We do three things when the corn is still in.

1) Spend some time watching them with a spotting scope to see where they are traveling between the corn and trees. Then set up by their trails. Also look for funnels or bottle neck. We have a place where there is a finger of trees that is like a funnel between the corn and trees. There has been more then one fight in our house as to who gets to hunt this spot.

2) If it has a pivot on it, the towers are a great place to take a stand.

3) If it's a windy day you can still hunt them. Use the gusts of wind to cover your movement. On a windy day the corn really makes alot of noise. Don't forget to play the wind.

As far as when the corn is out, we hunt the trails leading to the fields but set up futher back tring to get them before they get to the field. We also have a blind that over looks the field, which has been good also.

NEW61375 07-28-2007 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: WoodsStealth

You know what would surprise me? If you actually knew what you were talking about...........thats what would surprise me. "don't be surprised if you see deer movement almost anytime of the day" Tell me Mr. Tigger Suit" instead of a whole paragraph wouldn't a simple,
As far as between the corn and a water source, its not like we hunt in the dessert, there are too many sources of water available to make a difference in stand selection. Game trails are the best indication of the routes the deer use to acess the corn.
WellI didn't expect to read a response like this on a seemingly innocent thread. But For boredoms sake I will humor you. From my experience (you know, in the area "I" hunt) If the corn is still standing the deer will often bed in it so often you can catch them cruising the corn at almost any time. As far as water sources, in the first or second week of September (and even later) the temps get in the upper 80's low 90's quite frequently, and one of my best stand has always been located a couple 100 yards off the corn atone of the most shallow/flat creek crossings(water source). Game trails are a good way to tell the deers routes to the corn or any other field almost to the point that it goes without saying. The poster asked for Cornfield Tacttics, I posted a couple I use and have had success with, if it doesn't apply to his area or help him in anyway I'm sure he will disregard it.

Roadkillwarrior 07-28-2007 08:51 AM

And exacly who do you think you are!? Sound like a real ass hole to me. If you dont agree with what some one says, just let it be please.

goos_blues 07-28-2007 11:48 AM

Troll...

NEW61375 07-28-2007 01:01 PM

Just to clarify, the point I was making about the corn was that in my experience (where I hunt)when the corn was still up the deer used it as cover (all during the day)andafter it was cut they stayed back in their "normal" bedding cover until late evening and you could catch them coming from the field back to that cover early morning (kinda back to the feeding schedules they had prior to the corn).That's alittle bit different than your summary.

Where I hunt there are multiple water sources toobut some definitely get more trafficand I have found thathad a lot to do with theirproximity to foodand cover. I definitely use that info when considering stand locations.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, ifI lived in a "dessert" I would want mine to be homemadeStrawberry Cheesecake. That would be tasty.;)