HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Public Land? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/199392-public-land.html)

Steelcity 07-26-2007 10:54 PM

Public Land?

I am locted in PA, ive hunted in NY, PA, ON, and WV, im looking to hunt somewhere in the midwest, i was just wondering if anybody knows of any good public land out in the midwest where i could stay in a cheap hotel and possibly find a nice buck or two on some gamelands or something
I know some of these states are draw states but some are not, im talking ohio, kentucky, illinois, iowa, missouri, oklahoma, kansasetc...... thanks for your help to those of you living out that way

Red Lion 07-27-2007 02:30 PM

RE: Public Land?

I would begin by doing an internet search in order to find the Dept Of Natural Resources or whatever agency oversees hunting in each state you are interested in. I am sure those agencies websites will have info on hunting regs, seasons with dates, license types and fees, public hunting land locations, etc....that is what I suggest to do.

Buck442 07-27-2007 03:33 PM

Ky has some Giants:D

Buck442 07-27-2007 03:36 PM

Ok...just foolin with ya. Here in Souther Illnois there are Thousands of Acres that are availble to hunters. Some are Bow only. In the last year or two they have been over ran with hunters from the south (AR,TN,GA) and the guys from Chicago. Many Pope and Youngers but be prepared to have your hunt interrupted at least once by a another travler.

I would look in the Harrisburg,IL region. Lots of land to hunt and cheap hotels within 30 miles. Good Luck and stay out of my yard![8D]jk.

Steelcity 07-28-2007 01:36 AM

thx fellas anything in the midwest would be sweet

bigtim6656 07-28-2007 12:39 PM

i live in sullivan indiana there are two big public areas near me one 8000 acrs and one bigger not sure of acres the 8000 one is just for hunting fishing and traping no camping or to much that will have people just runing around i have been told that that is one of thebest areas around here and theres not alot of hunting done on ithotels are cheap and in green sullivan there are a lot of camping and cabin rentals
Sullivan [align=center]

Minnehaha Fish and Wildlife Area

1.5 miles east of Sullivan. Hunting for quail, turkey, dove, rabbit, deer, woodcock. Duck and goose hunting from non-blind areas at marshes, lakes, fields. Night hunting for raccoon and fox.
Acreage: 8382
Camping: No
Shooting range: Yes
Mandatory check-in: Yes
Managed by: DNR (Fish and Wildlife)
the other is

Greene-Sullivan State Forest

Near Dugger. Hunting for quail, rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey, woodcock. Duck and goose hunting available.
Acreage: 8,900
Camping: Yes, self-registration required Shooting range: No
Archery range: Yes
Mandatory check-in: No
Managed by: DNR (Division of Forestry)
[/align]