Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 did you get a deer your fist hunting season? >

did you get a deer your fist hunting season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

did you get a deer your fist hunting season?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Banned

Default RE: did you get a deer your fist hunting season?

It took me 4 years to kill my first deer. I always seemed to mess something up when I was younger, but it payed off b/c my first deer was a nice 8 point with an 18" spread.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer was a nice fat doe. That was out on the farm about 35 years ago (not really a defined hunting season, at that time it was just for meat). My son hunted his first 3 years without success even though I was setting him up on some nice animals (would get too nervous and miss or take too long waiting for the perfect shot). During his fourth season (last year) he harvested 2 nice sized does and a little 3x3 buck. After he got the first he reallysettled down and all seemed to click. Just relax and enjoy being out hunting and I'm sure that all will fall in place.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my third year hunting and my first year I didnt get anything either. I did have a couple nice deer come by me but they never presented a shot. Plus I only hunted 3 times my first year so that contributed to the reason I probably didnt get one.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
jf5

Shot a 8 ptbuck the first 1.5 hours ofmy first deerhunt. WHile I shot a few Antlerless deer after that herein my home state (MA) I did not get another anterlered buck in MAuntil 19 years later [:@]

(I did get abuck in Canada in 1999though)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM

The first year I went deer hunting was the first year my dad whent deer hunting. We hunted at a couples land who also hunted and invited over all sorts of friends to hunt. They have 180 acres with tons of enclosed deer stands. They put us in the best stand and my dad shot a small doe. The next season I had a slightly better idea of what i was doing and shot abutton buck and thenext yearI got anothersmall button buck as well as a 4 pointer (which i was very proud of!). This will be my fourth year out and I will be hunting at my girlfriend's farm. I've heard of some nice bucks comming out of there so I'm hopping for a decent 8 or 10 pointer!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

took me my 2nd year to take one....i would see deer, but for one reason or another i wouldnt have a shot...i mean i would have shots, but would pass on them for one reason or another....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM

i just started at the very end of the 2005 season.

2005 - hunted about 7 times and didnt even see a deer. last day of hunting, 20 mins before dark i shot a fox. nice little head and tail mount.

2006 - saw quite a few does, one spike (couldnt get a shot), and then i killed a doe. first deer ever. no more meat left in the freezer though.

2007 - ?????

im still in search of my first buck and ill take 2-3 does this year if i can for the meat.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Yes, I shot a decent 7 point the very first time I climbed in a stand with a bow. Half an hour into opening day of the season. Well half an hour into my day anyway, I had to wait until I got of from work. I left work and drove to my hunting area which was fairly close to work. Walked out to my stand, climbed in and got settled. About 20 minutes later and around 5 or so in the afternoon two deer walk by my stand. One a nice 10 point the other a 7 point of the same size. The 10 point wouldn't stay still and give a good shot, but the 7 point turned perfectly broadside and stuck it's head in the weeds. It was daring me to shoot I tell you.

I am not your normal story though. I was 30 when I started hunting and I had a very good hunter, a buddy from work helping me. He showed me what to look for and helped me set the stand. He also helped me find a property that had very little pressure and had not been hunted for a while. I got my bow the year before and practice for a whole year rather than trying to hunt that same season. I studied hunting tactics, deer anatomy and practiced shooting at a 3-D target for quite some time before actually shooting at a real deer. Not to mention we worked next to each other and we talked about hunting every day, he is crazy about hunting.

I will be honest though, I made a lot of mistakes that first time out and got lucky the deer let me get away with it. If this had been an area with more pressure I don't think it would have happened.

The next year I purchased an inline ML and gun hunted. I shot a nice 10 point the third day of guns season at about 80 yards off from the ground.

Paul
Old 07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get a deer until my third season out with a gun. I have had to learn most of my hunting stuff on my own and lets just say that I have been learning from my mistakes. I have still have not gotten with my bow and I have been bow hunting four years now....I shot last year, but missed.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Spike

My first time hunting I was 17, and my grandpa had bought mea little 20 gauge single shot, I went out to my tree stand and I shot a little 6 point. If I would have had the money I believe I would have gotten it mounted I was so proud lol. I just cut the antlers off and laid them on the headrest of my bed. and all night long I would wake up every hour or two and reach up there and feel them antlers just to make sure it wasn't a dream. That is why I hunt.

Quick Reply: did you get a deer your fist hunting season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.