HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   HOW SMALL IS TO SMALL?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/198903-how-small-small.html)

dctkennels 07-23-2007 07:13 PM

HOW SMALL IS TO SMALL??

I am getting ready to plant a small food plot just big enough to get the deer in the area. How small of an area can you get away with for attracting them to your spot? It is secluded in a river bottom and I plan to use the Throw n Grow type seed. Thanks for any advice.

WesternMdHardwoods 07-23-2007 07:31 PM

RE: HOW SMALL IS TO SMALL??

How much land do you have to deal with?? Is there deer in that general area now?? What state you from?? I ask this because i believe that in most areas at this time of year a food plot this late in the year is useless, why not just go with feed?? I could be wrong?? just my 2cents..

Two years ago i planted three seperate food plots in the woods and only one really produced any deer! That particular area was more heavily traveled then the others, but do i think they bring deer in better then good ol corn or salt nahhh...! Unless you really put some money and time into a good plot!! Once again just my 2cents!

zmschillin 07-23-2007 08:26 PM

We planted a 4 acre alfalfa plot and it has done a great job bringing the deer from the neighbors to our side of the fence. I sat over the plot to scout and I saw 19 deer and 8 were bucks 3 big ones. Before we planted the plot the deer would almost always stay on the other side of the fence. A smaller plot might have done the same thing but that is what I have and it works.

RackLuster 07-23-2007 08:35 PM

if you time it right a very small plot will bring in deer. when i mean very small i mean the size of a truck! a buddy of mine has done it 2 years in a row. 2 years ago he had 7 does eating out of his tiny plot. he shot one of the does, she dropped about 40 yards away from the plot and while he was gutting her out some of the does came back into the plot. last year he had a plot that was smaller then a truck and he shot a big doe out of a ground blind. his 10 year old daughter was in the blind with him. I've also planted plots that were really small (20 feet by about 30 feet) and they bring in deer. i plant my fall plots around august 15th. i'll be starting the roundup process pretty soon here.

for us, we've had great results. haven't shot a big buck out of them but they've brought the deer into bow range better then anything else (legal things anyway - baiting illegal in mn).

good luck!

nchawkeye 07-23-2007 09:13 PM

Before I had a 4-wheeler I took a push mower to a grown up field of 3-4 foot high Johnson Grass and cut a 50 yard by 40 yard opening in the middle of the field...I then tilled it with a walk behind tiller and limed, fertilized and seeded with a hand crank seeder...During the season I saw as many as 23 deer in that plot...

bdosas 07-24-2007 08:24 AM

I have heard that it depends heavily on the deer density in your area. If there are a lot of deer in your area, a 40' by 40' feed plot will be gone in no time. If the density is not as much, a food plot of this size would work great.