HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Etiquette with Taxidermist (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/198767-etiquette-taxidermist.html)

DWavs 07-22-2007 09:46 PM

Etiquette with Taxidermist

First, let me say that I have been reading this forum for almost a year and it is a great source of information!

I shot a 10 point last November and it is my first mount. I dropped it off at a local taxidermist after a recommendation from a friend and checking out his work. He projected a finish date of July.

My question is...is it rude to call and check on the progress at this point or do I just continue to patiently wait?

Thanks for any advice!

goos_blues 07-22-2007 10:40 PM

RE: Etiquette with Taxidermist

Theres nothing wrong with calling him.

Zdeerslayer 07-22-2007 10:43 PM

Give him a call, or if he's close by feel free to stop in.I'm sure he'd love to shoot the breeze w/ a fellow hunter. Just say you stoped by to check the progress of your deer and see what other bucks he's mounting.

TN Deer Hunter 07-22-2007 11:48 PM

My taxidermist took long but be patient if he does good work it will be well worth it. I never rush there work and with the duck mounts I just give it to them and tell them to be creative. That is when most do there best work is when the are not restricted

whitetaildreamer 07-23-2007 05:40 AM

There is nothing wrong with giving him a call. It is your deer and you are paying him. As long as you are polite them what's the problem. If you took your car or truck into a shop for service, wouldn't you call for that?

timbercruiser 07-23-2007 06:11 AM

Depending on the taxidermist, you might have to prod him several times. I've heard of people that were given a date of finishing and having to add a years time to it before getting their mount back. Sometimes it might be waiting for good work, but sometimes it might be overloading their time or laziness.

KYDeerHunter03 07-23-2007 07:50 AM

My dad had his first mount done this year and the guy gave him a finshing date of the first week of May. He called the guy when the time came close and just asked how he was doing and he said his deer would proabaly be ready in 3 days. I dont think the Taxidermist minds when people call, as long as they aren't rude. Just be polite and everything should be fine.

DoctorDeath 07-23-2007 09:44 AM

THIS IS A PET PEEVE OF THE GOOD DOCTORS ....I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR A GOOD TAXI BUT SOME THINK THEY AREPICASSO WITH WHAT THEY CHARGE AND THE TIME THEY EXPECT YOU TO WAIT .... I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT 6 MONTHS IS PLENTY OF TIME TO WAIT TO GET A MOUNT BACK AND HAVING A GOOD JOB DONE ... IF A TAXI SO BUSY THAT HECAN'T GET IT BACK TO YOU IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIMETHEN HE NEEDS TO HIRE SOME HELP ... WHEN A HUNTER LEAVES HIS TROPHY HE'S EXTREAMLY EXCITED ABOUT GETTING IT BACK BEFORE HE FORGETS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE ...JMHO

DWavs 07-23-2007 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I think since he said July and there is only a week left, I will wait until the beginning of August and give him a call. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised by a call from him while waiting the final week of the month. :)

nctaxi 07-23-2007 11:52 AM

DD - part of the problem is that some take in as many as 200 deer in 3 months, then send them to a tannery, which takes 3 months to get back, if not longer. Then figure 10 - 20 hours in each one, let's say 10 for sake of arguement 10x200=2000 hrs. That is not counting fish, small game & birds, turkey, African, exotics, etc. So if you get one back in less than a year you should be happy unless stated otherwise.