Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Etiquette with Taxidermist

Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Etiquette with Taxidermist

Between my dad and I, we probably have about 40 animals mounted. The averagehas beenbetween 6 and 8 months. However,the taxidermist can't always give you an accurate timline due to outside factors. Namely, when the hide comes back from the tannery and drying time.I had a deer a few years back that was put together but could not be finished for quite some time. It was very humid that summer and he wanted to make sure the mount was thoroughly dried before he painted andfinished forme.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: adamsdad

I just got my first mount back last week. I turned it in on 11/11/2007 and was told 6 months. It took over 8 months. I do not mind waiting for quality work but I would much prefer a more accurate assessment of the time needed. I would rather they say 18 months and then you get it back 2 months ahead. I realise that their work loads change and there are circumstances beyond their control but I think perhaps a call from them stating that there is a delay and an additional X amount of time will be needed to finish the work. I called after 7 months and they said 1 more week. Well it was another month or more. Just be upfront and everyone will have a much better experience. PS I am very pleased with the way my mount looks.
ADAM COME ON BUDDY SHOW US PICS OF YOUR MOUNT !!

dd

Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Well, I picked it up yesterday. Very pleased with the work.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Not a monster by any means but I have had my 100 acres hunt lease for 5 years and the deer are scarce and relatively small on it. So, this one had to be mounted based on what I have seen on that land in the past.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM

But.............If everone called him to check on there stuff, or stopped by, it keeps him from working, My best friend is a taxidermist and is the best around so of course he takes in alot.......his biggest problem is people stopping by to visit or calling......
Brett
Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM

It would probably be cool to call him.But why?Let the man do his work,after all,you will be looking at that deer for the rest of your life.I never rush my Taxidermist,I just tell him,when you get it done,call me, and I will bring the cash.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM

I know how you feel Dwavs. My pronghorn mount was into my tax for about 9 months. last oct I sent in a 9ft sailfish to be touched up; and in nov,I sent in a deer hide to get tanned. I called him two weeks ago, and he said the hide should be done in a couple of weeks, and he hadn't even started on the fish! good thing he does awsome work... luckily, I've got better things on my mind (like college), so I'm not as anxious to get my stuff back yet. but I am patiently waiting.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a picture of my mount that I got back last wek. I am very happy with it. I tried to post it yesterday but had to resize the picture and it took a while. I am glad I don't have as much trouble running a gps as i do my photo editing program or I would still be in the woods from last year.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 AM

I was quoted a timeof 1 year when I dropped off the buck I killed last November, he called me in June and it was ready. I was quoted 6 months on my bear I killed last August and I am still waiting for it. I would rather they over shoot and have it to me earlier than I expected than undershoot and leave me waiting. The guy doing my bearhas gotten a call from me every month since March to let him know I am checking on his progress expecting it to be done at anytime.

Quick Reply: Etiquette with Taxidermist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.