Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!

I'm not a fan, but I only killed 3 bucks last year anyway. However, this year I plan on using a bow also, so my season is gonna be 5 weeks longer than last year. I am unhappy for myself, but this will be good for a lot of people I know that will shoot a spike just as soon as they will shoot a 10 pt, and do that multiple times a year when they don't need the meat. Believe it or not, the last weekend of the season last year I planned on getting out just to cull some does and ended up seeing nothing but bucks.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm not talking about only Alabama--and just so you know, I am all for these types of restrictions, and I do hunt in Alabama, as they are fair. I have hunted there 3 seasons and killed 2 eights, and a 9, along with about8 does--while passing on many yearlings.many states have a 1 buck limit and a very short season, so , no it does not eliminate that particular argument at all. It certainly isn't a matter of a parent not wanting to teach his kid, which really is taking what I said and bending it extremely. A father should be able to take his son out to hunt, with out being saddled with unnecesarry rules , but rather reasonable ,sensible, and fair to all involved guidelines to pass along,not ones that are only relatively recent in hunting's history and restrictive and overly stressing unneeded 'management' principles which serve only to suit the trophy only mentality and that are detrimental in the long run to the herd in general, eliminating many from the game who just want to enjoy hunting as it has always been. What can you not understand about not everyone being in th esame camp? We should be in the same camp as far as ethics, and law,and reasonable mangement,but these subjectively personal goals shouldn't be forced on all. Th elaw should reflect what is fair, reasonable, helpful to hunting being perpetuated, and beneficial to the deer herd in teh longrun, not someones added agnendas--which they can and still have the right to enjoy.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

THIS IS THE GOOD DOCTORS VIEW ON THIS SUBJECT ...I WAS RAISED IN NORTH ALABAMA CLOSE TO THE TENNESSEE STATE LINE ..HAVE HUNTED THERE MOST ALL MY LIFE ... FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NEVER HUNTED ALABAMA ONE OF THE BIG PROBLEMS THE AVEREGE HUNTER FACES THERE IS THE SMALL PARCELS OF LAND THAT IS AVAILABLE TO HUNT ...MOST FARMS ARE UNDER 100 ACRES AND ITS IMPOSSABLE TO MANAGE DEER ON THAT SMALL OF A TRACT ...FARMS IN SOUTH ALABAMA TEND TO BE MUCH LARGER HOWEVER ... UP IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS THE GENERAL MENTALITY IS "IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN" ..IF YOU SEE A YOUNG BUCK AND DON'T TAKE IT THE GUY ON THE NEXT FENCE ROW WILL WITH NO PENALTY BECAUSE HE CAN SHOOT A BUCK EVERYDAY..I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT ALABAMA NEEDED TO INVOLK A LIMIT ON BUCKS ...NOT SO MUCH IN SIZE (BECAUSE THE AVEREGE JOE DESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE IF HE WANTS MEAT OR HORNS) BUT IN NUMBERS ...OUR BUCKS IN N. ALABAMA VERY SELDOM EVER REACH MATURITY BECAUSE THEY GET WACKED SO SOON ...I PERSONALLY LIKE THIS NEW LAW IN ITS CONTEXT (NOT SURE HOW IT WILL BE ENFORCED) ...IF ENFORCED CORRECTLY IT WILL FORCE US ALL TO MANAGE OUR AREAS LARGE OR SMALL...ALLOWING THE BUCKS TO GROW AND PRODUCE ...THE WAY I SEE IT THETRUTH IS BAMA HAS MORE THEN ITS SHARE OF DEER BUT LETS BE HONEST MOST OF THOSE ARE DOE'S ....AND TODAY'S HUNTERS FOR THE MOST PARTARE HUNG UP ON HORNS ...INCLUDING THE GOOD DOCTOR WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER .... IN SHORT I APPLAUDE DOCTOR STRICKLAND FROM HUNTSVILLE FOR HELPING GET THIS NEW LAW IN EFFECT ....

dd
Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Doc, War Damn Eagle!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ChrisAU

Hey Doc, War Damn Eagle!
WHERES A MODERATOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE .... CHRIS YOU WILL BE LUCKY IF YOU DON'T GET BOOTED FROM THE FORUM FOR USING LANGUAGE LIKE THAT ...OH BY THE WAY ROLL TIDE ROLL!

dd
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

We are allowed only one buck in Indiana...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

Im all for the 3 buck limit it sounds like a good many but not TOO many bucks to me, i'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 bucks if things keep going like they have, in the past two years out of 3 deer each season i have killed 5 does and 1 spike
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 PM

Tennessee went to just 2 bucks per yr with a bonus buck of a wma greatest thing that TWRA has done the whole time of there exsistince I had pretty much quit deer hunting until 3 yrs ago. Because I got tired of sitting in a deer stand and only seeing spikes and little 4 points and so on. All you could kill until that point was bucks. you could only kill about 4 does and approximatly 17 bucks per yr.Know that WE have the buck limit I feel just as passionate about hunting as I did 20 yrs ago when I killed my first 4 point at 10 yrs old. Granted back then if you got lucky like my dad you could kill one he killed a 9 point that scored 156 3/8 and was 4 1/2 yr old deer in 1987 That held the county record until 2003. I saw my first 150 class buck last yr about 70 yrds out during bow. And let probally 20 different bucks that would go 120 to 130 walk that was 2 to 2 1/2 old. I don't even hardly duck hunt anymore because the bucks have brought back that great excitement about deer hunting Killing the big one. And the time I had quit deer hunting that was life duck hunting. Give it a couple yrs and you be glad they went to just 3 I wish Tn wold go to eab or just one per year.

Oh And DD GO VOLS
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and brother have been avid South Alabama hunters for 5 yrs now. They trophy hunt and still complain about the does, but past up on harvesting some. Some Florida counties have the same problem, it is not just in Alabama. You can tell something is wrong when you see 15 does and yearlingsand not abuck. Running deer dogs, two years ago we ran 34 does and yearlings out of a block without the first buck! We were issued 200 doe tags and people in the club abused them, so they were not issued again. I cant really say that I agree with the 3 buck limit though, as on private land it would be hard to enforce.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
jf5

I think you'll be greatful after a few years of this restriction. You guys have a good population, why not fine tune it for better herd structure.

I also realize that I got to hunt down south sometime

Quick Reply: Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.