HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where's the challenge when you see deer EVERY DAY? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/198139-wheres-challenge-when-you-see-deer-every-day.html)

Jimmy S 07-18-2007 07:30 AM

Where's the challenge when you see deer EVERY DAY?

We talked about this last weekend. We hunt areas with low deer numbers...about 10-15 deer per square mile, sometimes less. We may go days without seeing a deer but when we do, it is always exciting. Even those deer we let walk.

If you see deer every time out,how do you keep the excitement and the challenge of the hunt?

Please understand I am not putting anyone down, I just would like to understand better.

There's does not seem to be a big challenge in filling you tag. Heck, I know some folks here shoot dozens of deer every year. Where is the challenge to that? Or do you not need a challenge?

deadstick 07-18-2007 07:36 AM

RE: Where's the challenge when you see deer EVERY DAY?

Big bucks always excite you, no matter how many deer you see. If you see 2 deer/day on average, say 1 doe and 1 small buck and I see 10 deer/day, say 7 does, 2 small bucks and 1 decent buck. I probably get the same excitement seeing the small bucks as you do seeing the does and probably get the same excitement seeing the decent buck as you get from seeing the small buck. If either of us sees a big buck, we're excited.

rtb5390 07-18-2007 07:57 AM

No matter how many deer your see a big mature buck is always a tough challenge

Lanse couche couche 07-18-2007 08:13 AM

Lot's of folks don't want a big challenge, just a big rack on the wall.

basserman 07-18-2007 08:25 AM

Actually we see many many deer here in Wisc. Does seiing all those deer lessen the excitement of being outdoors with these magnificent creatures? Not in the least! I make it more challanging by having high standards on what I shoot.

whitetaildreamer 07-18-2007 08:34 AM

I understand what you are saying for the areas up north do not have the deer densities of the south. Some days you may not see anything but others are fast and furious. Part of the excitement is the anticipation of the harvest. I believe that this is where scouting should be taken into account.A large part of the challenge is during scouting. I harvest 2-3 (sometimes more) deer a year but I must say it is due to scouting. What's the challenge if you don't scout? Is it then just dumb luck? In the right general location anyone, on any given day could possible be given the oppertunity to shoot the buck ofa lifetime. Hunting is like that.I know this may anger a few but it has to be said. What challenge is it when someone pays a guide thousands of dollars to set you up on a hunt. He/she places you in a stand over a trail that is frequented by a large buck? Isn't it the challenge finding that spot in the first place? I'm not calling out anyone that uses a guiding service. For some due to their location and personal commitments have to.Harvesting an animal is always a challenge. Hey, I haven't hunted my best spots in years because I'vebeen setting my son up in them. Now that he is old enough and has the experience to set himself up I guess I'll be...no wait...my second son is huntinghis first season this year.I guess I'll be waiting a few more years for my best spots.Perhaps the idea of challenge is to the individual hunter and not to the collective. There are far too many variables to consider.

bdosas 07-18-2007 08:49 AM

On average I see 2-4 deer per day when I am out. To me it does not matter whetherI see4 nice bucks or 4 does,I get excited. I know that if a doe comes past thata big buckcould be trailing her. Also with seeing more deer your standards start to rise.

Jimmy S 07-18-2007 08:53 AM

So there is no challenge shooting a deer. The excitement is always there and the challenge comes into play when you set high standards?

basserman 07-18-2007 08:57 AM

The challange is not in the shot itself. Normally thats the easy part. The excitement is in scouting and outwitting them

nchawkeye 07-18-2007 09:21 AM

We all hunt for different reasons, I hunt my own farm land and keep the local doe population in check...I get more of a kick helping others kill deer...After I feel I have taken care of my responsibilities I pull out the flintlock or bow...

I have enough challenges trying to make a living owning my own business and raising 3 daughters...I view hunting as a hobby, aren't you suppose to enjoy your hobby?????:)

I can't imagine only seeing a few deer each year having a 3-4 week season and only being able to harvest 2-3, our population is very healthy and our season starts in September and runs until the end of December...