HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   High cost of hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/197797-high-cost-hunting.html)

spudrow 07-15-2007 06:09 PM

High cost of hunting

What got me to post this information is that here in central Missouri a small outfitter is charging $100 a day for a deer hunt. This price includes food and lodging.That seems fair. Now what gets me is the fact that there is a $400 trophy charge for any buck.To me the cost of hunting has gotton compelety out of hand. If it keeps escallating one day it will only be for the rich folks. When I first hunted Wyoming the trespass fee was any where from $25 to fresh fruit, to clothing for the land owners churches, to farming and welding supplies etc. The state permit was less than $100. What the L has happened? I'll tell you, greed. When people find out that the rich such as doctors, lawyers, singers, and performers, etc don't care how much it costs and pay that cost, it makes it bad for the rest of us. I am not asking something for nothing but give me, ( and the rest of us average hunters), a break. Yesterday another member and I were talking about charging hunters to hunt on our individual properties. I would not charge anyone. I would however be selective on who would be allowed to hunt. Our great state of Missouri has one of the best Conservation Commissions around. Every dollar that is spent in our state is taxed 1/8 % and that money goes to the Conservation Commission. Now we have gone to checking our game by the internet or phone. By their own admission this has saved them around $600,000!!! Wow. That's a bunch of money. So let me ask? Why does does the cost of our permits continue to increase? Greed, greed, and more greed. I for one think it's ridiculous.
Then there is the cost of hunting out of state. The idea of paying trespass fees, or whatever you call them, the high cost of permits, and what outfitters charge is more than ridiculous.I have never hired a guide or outfitter, and am not planning to. Now I don't mind people making a living, but dang, I don't want them to make it all off me? As you all know I am retired and lucky because I can afford to go on hunting trips, hire guides if I want but I refuse.
Our numbers as hunters are declining and I can understand this because of the prices we must pay for not just the trips, permits, etc but the high cost of equipment we have to purchase for these hunting and fishing excursions. Don't you think this obsession with big racks, horns, trophies, etc has been a major contributer to the increased prices? I do.
Here in Missouri it costs a nonresident around $200 for an any deer tag. $7 for additional doe tags and in most counties they are unlimited. Out west it's more than twice that amount. Where will it end???

Spudrow from Missouri[/align]_________________
[/align]

eversboys 07-16-2007 09:06 AM

RE: High cost of hunting

Spudrow,

Thats why average hunters like ourselves, need to have one anothers back but it seems like everything has a price tag once money is involved. If hunters wouldnt use the services then the prices wouldnt be so high but thats just supply and demand.

uncle matt 07-16-2007 09:26 AM

Spud the prices you posted would be considered CHUMP CHANGE in Pike county IL. Do some searching on outfitters there.

Or maybe you can search by a key word or phrase like $500/day.

Lanse couche couche 07-16-2007 09:27 AM

Face it, big antlers are big business. There are a lot of reasons why numbers of hunters are declining. The whole wacky, often selfish, deer hunting cult is just one of them though.

spudrow 07-16-2007 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: eversboys

Spudrow,

Thats why average hunters like ourselves, need to have one anothers back but it seems like everything has a price tag once money is involved. If hunters wouldnt use the services then the prices wouldnt be so high but thats just supply and demand.

I agree with this. Big bucks = big buck$! It is getting way out of hand. I belong to another hunting site and almost all of us are trading hunts just for the fun of meeting new people, hunting new territories with hunters from other states. It has worked out great for me. I have been to Pa. to meet 4 of these hunters and have been invited back in Dec. 08 for a bear hunt.Met another hunter in Ft. Worth and he has invitedme to Texas in Feb. 08 for a hog hunt, going to Nebraska for a deer hunt with some other hunters this September, and to Colorado this Oct for an elk hunt. All this is costing me/ us is our transportation, tags, and food. 3 hunters are coming here for a turkey hunt with me next spring and staying with me.This is what it's all about.Standing together and sharing your hunting spots with other hunters who appreciate it.

Spudrow from Missouri

DoctorDeath 07-16-2007 04:13 PM

LOL Spud ...if you THINK hunting is gettn expensive you best not get into Golf ....or riding a Harley :D

dd

spudrow 07-16-2007 05:53 PM

LOL yourself. Golf doesn't interest me in the least and my back won't let me ride any more. Now I do like corvettes!:D

I have been hunting for over 45 years and just don't like being hosed or ripped off. I feel sorry for these younger hunters just beginning. I know what you mean though, every thing is just getting out of hand. It'sbaseball, football, basketball, etc not to mention the arts, etc. I can combat that by not attending games, plays, or musicals. Hunters want to pass along the tradition, firearms, bows and so forth. The rich boys are ruining it for everyone.Just my opinion mind you.
I think when people are born they should just be given a trophy and then maybethey could get over it.[:-]:)

Spudrow from Missouri

npaden 07-16-2007 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

LOL Spud ...if you THINK hunting is gettn expensive you best not get into Golf ....or riding a Harley :D

dd
How about a round of golf at pebble beach?

PEBBLE BEACH GOLF LINKS

Resort Guests
$475 incl. cart

Non-Resort Guests
$475 + cart

That's for 1 round of golf and all you get to take home are some memories and a few pictures. You better bring some extra golf balls though, you'll need them!

NH306 07-16-2007 07:42 PM

What really sucks is they get so much money pooled together that they lease up all the farms in an area offering farmers more money than the average joe can afford! Which leaves the guy who wants to drive out and seek permission SOL! It's very frustrating! Some people are hogs! POWER OF THE ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR!

whitetaildreamer 07-16-2007 07:46 PM

Tell me about it. I played Pebble Beach late last summer and with lunch and a couple of beersit was just over $400. I feel for you guys down south. More people and less and less hunting space every year. That's one thing we have up here in Canada is lots and lots of space. I hunted private land during bow season but during ML, the only other hunter I saw was my son and that was on an area of approx. 10 sq. miles of public land.During rifle we hunted another area of 30 sq. miles of public land and in six days hunting we sawonly 6 other hunters andall of those were as we were driving out.The deer density is much less than down south but the deer we do see are usually fairly large. Also since they do not get the hunting pressure they are less skiddish during hunting season.