Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High cost of hunting

Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: High cost of hunting

Mohunter,

I would assume that since you are referrring to land that "we" have, then it is actually your parents (or other family members') land and not ground that you had to acquire. In many places, 20 acres of land would cost 60,000 to 100,00 at least. Most people can't go 100K in the hole, then have the expense of building a house on the property. So, yes, it is damn expensive. Also, you are apparently blessed with living in an area where there are still quite a few folks that will let you hunt on their land. But, trust me, that can change very quickly when people start buying/leasing land and posting it. Twenty-five years ago I thought the same way that you do now, and i wish that it was still like that. But, in many places, its not.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a little b**ch for you all. Since my oldest son has been hunting (4 years), I've also been taking some of his friends with us (as long as they have completed the hunter safety program and I have taken them to the range a few times). For the most part these kids didn't have a dad or anyone to teach them the sport. Well a couple of years ago one of my son's friends harvested a nice 4x4. Hey I even butchered it for his family. Last year while we were stopped for lunch a truck drove up and out of it hopped the kid (4x4 shooter), his uncle, and 3 of his buddies. What a kick in the nuts that was. I've hunted that area for years, yes and I know it is public land, but basicly the guy used his nephew to find a new hunting area. (this is a large area, maybe 7-8 sq. miles and they came tomy exact spot) What has this to with the cost? Well how about the time and effortthat went into scouting that area. I couldn't even give you a dollar figure on that. Good thing that wasn't one of my top 5 areas or I would have been real pissed. If people are going toinfringe on you in the big open spaces of Canada, I couldn't imagine how hard it isin the U.S.That'sthe cost that whitetailcrazy mentioned. Time and effort must be considered in the equation of cost.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a similar problem as whitetailcrazy last year. I had some private (family) land, 125 acre tract,and Ilet a couple of close friends hunt there with the understanding that it was a private "honey hole". One guy rarely hunted, the other hunts every day, and he has thousands of acres of land to hunt. I felt that something was going on during the week while I wasn't around on the private tract, so I put up a camera on the road going in the property.Pictues showed thathe was carrying everybody he wanted to into the property while I wasn't there. It broke a 30 or so year friendship up, but maybe it was the best thing that could have happened.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Its getting ridiculous when it comes to the cost of hunting.The costof a license goes up every year as well. In Maine I think 3-4 years ago a bear hunting license was $7.00. The next year it went up to $27.00. All this money they claim is needed to preserve wildlife and "our" hunting land.Well Ill tell you what I dont know where they are spending the money but it sure isnt for sportsman. Its definately a greed thing.And when it comes to people posting land[:@]we wont get into that.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

There are plenty of alternatives to "pay to play" for those willing to do the legwork, and nobody can hose you unless you open your wallet. The only way I would personally consider an outfitter would be if I were hunting in a different state on unfamiliar territory and had reasonable fear of getting lost with little chance of being found alive, not much chance of that in farm country where the nearest road is probably just over the next rise.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Spudrow,

Your not alone, They are doing the same thing here in Michigan. Right now, our legislature is debating a bill that would tripple all of the hunting and fishing license fees over the next three years. I don't know about Missouri's DNR, but in my opinion, the agencyhere in Michigan has done nothing to improve our deer and wildlife populations. Sure, we have a big deer population but the buck to doe ratio is rediculous. In addition, once you get above the bottom 18 or 19 counties, there aren't that many deer.

I wouldn't mind the fee hikes if I felt like hunters were going to benefit from it. Sadly, they will not. The additional money will be squandered just like it is now and if 5 years they will be telling us that the DNR fund is still broke.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
jf5

I do not mind license fee's going up as long as the monies are used for F & G purposes. In my state (MA) we have a land stamp program, $5.10 on each hunt/fish tag. 100% used to buy new public lands.

We don't have the amount ofdeer to attract leases and outfitters. But I can say that allot of our public lands are underused because the limited deer availalble. However, its their for people who have thedesire to scout and scout hard.

Figuring that if I take my girl out to dinner, drinks and a show. I'll pay 3-4x the cost of a resident sportsman (hunt and fish) tag thats good 365/24/7.

Its not that expensive to hunt for those who have the desire to just getout andhunt.At least here in New England. And my state is one of the most populous in the nation.

People pay the big cash for the bigbucks. Not just to hunt.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

i no that hunting is expensive, but everyone needs a hobby or something that they enjoy doing, so you have to look past the bills of equiment and just do what you love to do!!! I do no that when buying land that may be a diffent story if you have a family to worry about beacuse they come first.thats my thought on this subject.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Nevada is just as bad guys . Sure we have millions of acres to hunt , public lands . I spent 200 bucks 3 years ago when I hunted deer last before I got to the range to check my rifle and get proficiant again . License is 27.50 duck stamps 25 more 10 more for "upland game" (Pheasent is upland?) you get a 3 dollar break if you buy a combo 40.00and get a fishing license but you have to but a trout stamp 10. 35.00 to apply for a deer tag 55 for pronghorn 75 for elk 100 for bighorn,mountain goat. No no garentee of getting a tag F&G keeps 15.00 of every tag app.even if you don't draw. One more you have to apply in April for a draw in June so you can hunt in Aug Sept and Oct or Nov for big game . You have to buy your License before you apply . Non- res can buy the lic.with the draw (125) and if you don't draw F&G only keeps 10 of the Lic.fee .