HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   GPS = Neccessary????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/197759-gps-neccessary.html)

younggun308 07-15-2007 11:13 AM

GPS = Neccessary?????

Is a GPS something that almost every hunter should get? I know that it would really help when getting toa turkey hutning spot or deer stand in the early morning pitch black dark, but is it really that neccessary, and do the pros outdo the cons?

Josiah

_Dan 07-15-2007 11:32 AM

RE: GPS = Neccessary?????

Where I hunt, its absolutely necessary. Some days I walk 3 miles in one way just to start hunting. Crossing several beaver damns and such with only one path in or out. If you miss one, you're screwed.

Wingbone 07-15-2007 03:07 PM

Is it necessary? I'd say no. But neither is a scope on a rifle. It's one more tool to make being in the woods and getting where you are going a little easier. That being said, I still carry a compass. Murphy's Law is still valid.

Paul L Mohr 07-15-2007 03:46 PM

I own one and rarely use it. The one time I tried to rely on it the batteries died and I didn't have extras. Mine flat out eats batteries.

I got it mainly for when I shoot a deer I can go find it, dress it and then walk back out to get someone to help me pick it up. With the GPS I could mark the spot then walk back to it with relative ease.

It also comes in handy when fishing on a boat.

I have been trying to sell mine for a year for 50 bucks at every garage sale me or my family has. No one seems to want it. I don't even know where it is at right now.

If I hunted larger areas I would probably use it more, but I don't hunt anything large enough to get lost in.

If I had to pick between my range finder and my GPS I would throw the GPS in the river.

Paul

furgitter 07-15-2007 03:55 PM

I sure like mine! It makes re tracing steps alot easier. I can find something in the middle of 10,000 acres a year later. In the middle of an iron range my compass usually takes a crap, So its nice to have, but no ya dont need one.

BigTiny 07-15-2007 04:17 PM

I bought one this past year, and it does make finding your way easier, especially in the dark. I still carry a good map and compass in case the gps malfunctions. I don't like being at the mercy of electronics and the map and compass only weigh a couple of ounces.

TimberCreek 07-15-2007 05:01 PM

Bought one a couple years ago. used it once. Looks cool mounted on my ATV though![&o]$230 ornament.

MO-KS_hunter 07-15-2007 07:32 PM

Is it neccessary? That's a pretty open ended question. It depends on the situation I guess. I'd say if you are hunting terrain that you are familiar with (i.e. your own plot of land that you know like the back of your hand) then I'd say spend your money on something else. If you hunting terrain that you are unfamilar and/or are hunting in a very isolated area, then it would be an invaluable tool. However, as people have already stated, don't totally rely on it. Know how to use a map and compass and bring it along.

Speaking of GPS's, has anyone read this months issue of Field and Stream? In their deer hunting boot-camp article they highlighted a new GPS unit made by bushnell that allows you to download satellite maps from their website. Looks pretty sweet.

RIStrutStopper 07-15-2007 09:01 PM

If I know the land I'm hunting, I hardly turn it on. It is great if you're checking a new spot out on an aerial map or topo on the computer. You can download waypoints to spots you have never been to and walk right to them. It is also great for marking treestand locations or deer sign and finding them again, especially in the dark!

uncle matt 07-15-2007 09:28 PM

I agree with what RIStrutStopper sez. They are great for that stuff and the fishing use is great too. You can return to the same great fishing spots over and over or tell your buddy the spot precisely.

Another good use is say your out looking over an unfamiliar area. You've been walking all over and now you're lost. It's getting dark. You start finding yourself walking in cirlces. Many guys walk away from where they think they came in. You might think you are miles away from your vehicle, but with a GPS you see that your vehicle is actually nearby.

Most importantly...................ALWAYS carry a few spare sets of batteries.