HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mississippi deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/197659-mississippi-deer.html)

Hard Luck 07-14-2007 10:24 AM

Mississippi deer

Why don't people talk or write articles about mississippi deer hunting? I've seen a lot of good bucks there and there are 170 + taken there every year.

younggun308 07-15-2007 11:15 AM

RE: Mississippi deer

Not sure, I have also heard terrible things about Mississippi, especially the turkey hunting.

Wayspr 07-15-2007 11:18 AM

Younggun, what type of "terrible things" have you heard about Mississippi?

younggun308 07-15-2007 11:23 AM

Do you honestly find me stupid enough to argue with a local?

You're justgoing to defend your state's reputation to the death.:D

Wayspr 07-15-2007 11:48 AM

I live in Mississippi but currently hunt Alabama. I have hunted Mississippi many times and harvested some very nice animals. Some parts of Mississippi are exceptional with good numbers and size, others are not worth hunting. If you venture near the Mississippi Delta, it is probably your best chance to harvest a deer in the 150+ category. When I asked the question I was not baiting you into an argument, I was simply curious about Mississippi's reputation? I unlike some members do not get a sense of worth from anonymously arguing on internet forums.

younggun308 07-15-2007 12:06 PM

There was a thread that was asking what people thought was the best state to get big deer, and a Mississippi hunter said that it was worthless over where he hunted, so I guess he must've been in one of those "not worth hunting" areas.

I was also reading a Turkey and TurkeyHunting magazine, and it was saying that theHomochitto National Forest wasn't ideal at all, and the article wasbasically talking about how hardit was tohunt the old tom,and howhe didn't get it, and someone else did after hunting the turkey for almost 4 years or something, the article was called "The Creek Crawler", and was written byJim Spencer.

Wayspr 07-15-2007 12:25 PM

I would definately agree that if you are after a book deer, Mississippi is a difficult place to score your trophy when compared to Iowa, Ohio, Wisconsin etc. Much of Mississippi has large populations of deer with typical mature bucks scoring in the 115-120 range. As I stated earlier, the Mississippi River delta gives the best chance for a trophy due to its extremely fertile soils which yields an abundance of quality vegetation.

furgitter 07-15-2007 12:58 PM

Weather you get a trophey or not, Mississippi is an experiance! I love the people down there and nobody can change my mind about that. Those folks down on the delta treat strangers like family.Ive seen lots of deer there, nothing big, but then again, Im not a head hunter so thats fine with me.

DoctorDeath 07-15-2007 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Hard Luck

Why don't people talk or write articles about mississippi deer hunting? I've seen a lot of good bucks there and there are 170 + taken there every year.
THOSE OLE MISS BOYS ARE SMARTER THEN THE AVEREGE BEAR ..THE LESS THEY TALK ABOUT IT THE LESS PREASURE ...KINDA LIKE NOT TALKING ABOUT YOUR HONEY HOLE.

dd

Hard Luck 07-16-2007 11:13 AM

Doctor Death, I agree with that ! I once saw an article about a guide and pictures of 5 B@C bucks around Cantron. I'm goingon a guidedhunt near Lexington in Dec. Any information I could get about that area would be appreciated.