Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How big are June deer?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Spike

Default How big are June deer?

I saw a deer the other day and I could have sworn it was already at least a 10 pointer! Then i put my camera out somewhere else and saw a buck that just grew his brow tines and is working on his main beam (it's about 3inches so far). Do bucks actually grow this big in June?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I seen a really nice 8 pt 2yrs ago in the 2nd week of June. He already had 6 to 8 inch tines and looked really nice. They do sometimes have nice racks this early in the summer but not sure if thats the norm or not. I also saw 2 nice bucks this yr in early May turkey hunting that were 80% done growing their main beams and the tines were like tennis balls across the beams on both sides.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got several nice Bucks on my trail camera that are doing very well,their Antlers are branched off with decent brow tines,and forked main beams coming out with 3 to 4 points on each side....then I had another Buck with huge antlers that looked as big a round as a coke can but they were only 4 or 5 inches high?

I think the Bucks that lost their Antlers early are doing better and had an early start on their new Antlers,I had a few young Bucks that just had knubs sticking out....gonna check my trail camera here in a few days and hopefully their doing much better?We put out salt and mineral early so hopefully it will give them a good start plus we've had plenty of rain this year so they won't be as stressed out like last year!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Saw a biggun tonight in our State park. Small deer, still had a lot of weight to put on but his rack was out past his ears already.

He had big "balls" on the ends of his rack, what exactly is that?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

"He had big "balls" on the ends of his rack, what exactly is that?"

***Just a typical look they have as they grow when they're in the velvet.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen em sporting head gear just last week, not huge but there.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

They always look extra big with the velvet on. Two weeks ago there was one hit, laying along the road near me. Had pretty much already. Saw a spike walking the dog the other night. he looked about finished already.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
They always look extra big with the velvet on. Two weeks ago there was one hit, laying along the road near me. Had pretty much already. Saw a spike walking the dog the other night. he looked about finished already.
***Were you or the spike walking the dog?!!! Sorry, but when I read it I just had to say the first thing that came to mind, LOL!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default june deer

Yes they can be 10 pts already I got 2 that are studs already some I know are studs that haven't packed it on like these 2 these pics were from june 5 hes shown more growth and pt separation since then
Attached Thumbnails How big are June deer?-grammas-trail-cam-june-8-122.jpg