HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Doe hunts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/196956-doe-hunts.html)

ATSAKPR 07-08-2007 05:17 PM

Doe hunts?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to start looking for references. I'm looking for cheap meat hunts for myself and my girlfriend who is new to hunting. She's pretty stoked about hunting for her first year so I figured I would try to get her on a hunt where her odds would be really good. Kind of like taking a kid fishing.
We're looking for female or management hunts that could include Whitetail, Mullies, Elk, or Antalope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for taking the time!

timbercruiser 07-08-2007 05:25 PM

RE: Doe hunts?

What's your location?

ATSAKPR 07-08-2007 10:42 PM

We live in Illinois but I wouldn't rule out a road trip for an extended weekend hunt. My girlfriend can't always get away from work but I can pretty much come and go as needed. Thanks

Wingbone 07-09-2007 03:43 AM

Wisconsin has Deer damage tags to be filled any time. I went on a successful doe hunt last Friday.Many countieswith lots of deer allow farmers to get crop damage payments only if they let poeple shoot does. They issuetags to the farmer to be given out. The tag is good for as long as the farmer says. Each county Land Conservation Dep't has a list of such farmers. It's great deer hunting in tennies and shorts.

IL-Cornfed 07-09-2007 02:04 PM

There is actually a fair amount of public ground here in IL, especially considering the houndreds of thousands of acres in Shawnee National Forest, why not hunt them. As an IL resident you have UNLIMITED tags so whck 'em and stack 'em if you want! Good luck and good huntin'

ATSAKPR 07-09-2007 03:49 PM

Thanks, I've hunted Shabbona for a couple of years and it seems they wise up fast with all the other hunters,most of which pull up in there trucks smoking and already in there camo. I always see a bunch of deer on my way into the park but once daylight comes they slip on out. I have seen a few turkeys out there. I'm also looking for a place to gun hunt.

Dunezilla 07-13-2007 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

There is actually a fair amount of public ground here in IL, especially considering the houndreds of thousands of acres in Shawnee National Forest, why not hunt them. As an IL resident you have UNLIMITED tags so whck 'em and stack 'em if you want! Good luck and good huntin'
"Unlimited tags"....does that go for anyone who is an IL resident? Only if that was true here. On the other hand maybe not for the deer population may drop to fast. In my head I counted the number of big game animals one can take here (if you use a bow in bow season and a rifle in rifle season)...17+ Lets see I can get:
3 whites
2-county of Stratconia deer
2 mules(possibly 5 in someWMU's
1 moose
1 elk
6 CWD deer
2 Camp Wainwright deer
Plus you can hunt around the city of Edmonton. Alberta (248) Not sure how that works.

wis_bow_huntr 07-13-2007 06:16 AM

Yes I would deffinately come to Wi before the entire state becomes an EAB state. We dont need that. The DNR wants everyone to shoot at least one antlerless deer this year, they have something up their sleeve for next year but not sure what it is. Deffinatley check into the crop damage farms through the DNR for a quick easy hunt.

Dunezilla 07-14-2007 11:40 AM

I'm for doe hunting....man they are everywhere, including on the front bumper of some vehicals. Shooting them and eating them is better than hitting them with a vehical and left to rot way.