Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tracking wounded deer with dogs >

Tracking wounded deer with dogs

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tracking wounded deer with dogs

Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Tracking wounded deer with dogs

Just wondering if anyone out there has used a tracking dog to find a wounded animal or not and what was your experience with them and or disappointments? I have been tracing for 8 years in VT and have had some good experiences and bad ones but havent really heard too much fed back from anyone. Just wondering!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Tracking wounded deer with dogs

I think using a dog for tracking is a good idea. They can find animals that we would lose and speed up finding the others. It should be limited to one dog to avoid dogs being used to drive outside of dog season. I know I made some jokes on the dog hunting thread, but I do think they have a place in deer hunting.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have used a dog in the past trailing up wounded deer. I feel it should be a must situation. I agree just one dog.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My little shih tzu can track turkeys and deer both,since started using
a crossbow havent needed his services in awhile,it gets r done!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 PM

I never imagined the amount of deer that got wounded each year and lost until I became licensed to track. Unfortunatly I wounded a big 8 pt and couldnt find anyone licensed to track for me so thats why I did it myself. I have 2 dogs I run but only one at a time. They have to be on a harnass at all times and under controll.This will be my 8th year tracking and its just as fun now as it was then. To see a hunters face when the dog finds the deer 2 miles the OPPOSITE direction the hunter INSISTED it went so something else, or the smile on a young kids face......priceless.....altho some hunters think that when a god doesnt find their "MORTALY" hit deer that the dog is no good and should stay home on the couch. There is one little fact he doesnt understand.......we are out there because of him....and in this state <VT>........we can not charge for our services. 50 - 60 tracks a year takes alot of time away from our hunting and families. ANywyas...would like to here about your encounters with a "dog tracker" if anyones got 1.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few fellows who know about spencer,and will come and ask for
help to track an animal,he is good on deer but is wicked on turkeys and
seems to enjoy finding the birds more then the deer.where ever we hunt
he is always the center of attention,never heard of his breed doing any
tracking,etc.but he does it good!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Do you guys know of anyone that has a trcking dog in MA We have a lot of scrub oak on the cape.. i ahvent lost on yet but im sure there will be a time....
Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 AM

email me @[email protected] and I can get some names for you
Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Ever wonder why there are so many wounded deer in VT? Maybe people spent too much time listening to the Benoit brothers and thier unethical hunting tactics and tips. Watch one of their vidoes and you will be sick to your stomach. Encouraging shots at running deer, taking low percentage shots because "if you don't shoot at em you can't kill em", or the greatest was then one of them shot at a deer four times after he bent his sight and said he tried compensating on the shot.

Sorry to jack the thread, but it sounds like most people out there try to hunt like them. [:'(]
Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM

dont EVER compare me to them!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stand the way they hunt and if you ask me they shouldnt even be on tv....they are the most over-rated people I know!!!!!!!!!!!!! And their ethics are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tracking wounded deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.