Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 POACHING IS BIG BUSINESS!! AND GETTING WORSE >

POACHING IS BIG BUSINESS!! AND GETTING WORSE

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

POACHING IS BIG BUSINESS!! AND GETTING WORSE

Old 06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: POACHING IS BIG BUSINESS!! AND GETTING WORSE

ORIGINAL: SoggyCereal

The group I go to Colorado with has actually had some Bulls taken away from them by poachers. I just don't understand it.
Taken away from them? Do you mean like strong arm robbery or at gun point?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even if you pack a pistol along with you on an elk hunt in case that happens, what if you had to shoot the poachers, I mean, you would go to jail for that, since you didn't shoot someone in your ownhome.
What are you going to tell the court? "We were fighting over a dead animal."
I'm sorry, but ina court, that ain't going to fly, and if the poacher is gay, you'll get charged with 2nd degree murder, because they'll call it a hate crime.

I don't see how packing weapons along does anything but sideline hunters in the end, unless theyjust held the poachers at gunpoint and walked them to the ranger's office, but even so, the ACLU would say that, "When the hunter pointed the muzzle of the gun at the person, it caused life-scarring trauma........" so, they sue you, and get thousands of $$$$ out of you, and you're almost bankrupt, and therefore you can't hunt anymore, the poachers go free, and they win again. It's a mess.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:04 PM

I was suggesting carrying a weapon for personal defense, not for stopping a poacher. I don't know about Colorado, but here there are criminals who will rob you of your deer at gunpoint. If I saw someone I knew was poaching, I'd call it in to LDWF. If someone wants to try to point a weapon at me, that gets handled differently.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Right now in ohio the state is discussing this and are trying to change the fine from $400 a deer to market value so poachers that kill bucks will havepay upwards of $15,000 ifits a real big buck.
This doen't say much for antlerless poachers does it? Here it is a mandatory $1000 fine and 3 days in jail as well as a loss of hunting privledges for a year. Also they can take any thing used for poaching to aution it off. That includes your gun, truck, atv, boat, or anything else that was used to assit in the act of poaching. Guess what we still have them here to just the same....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

They should take everything away from a poacher and auction it off. Poachers make me sick. They should lose their hunting privelages for quite some time. This is a sore subject with me and I'll tell you why. Years ago I busted my a** to make ends meet. I relied on hunting to provide for my wife and step kids. I bought my tag and shot a big doe. So I tracked it and just as I stepped out on the farmers lane where it ran I see an a**hole leaving with my deer in his truck. I followed the blood trail right to the gut pile. So we ate bologna sandwiches for a week until I shot another. To me even if you steal someone elses kill or shoot a animal illegally your a poacher. I despise them with a passion and I will be the first person in line to turn that person in.Poachers and thieves are a sore subject with me...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I bet they are, that's pretty sad. Venison sure beats Spam sandwiches.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poaching for profit is wrong in my book.Some farmer shooting a deer to feed his family from his landisnt a poacher at all to me.I dont care if he shot it out of seasion or not. He raised it on his crops, and its his land, why should he have to buy a license?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Who is ****ed up enough to be buying their kills. They should be hung by their nuts as so should the poachers.
Well said Colorado!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know how many times ive went out to shoot a few squirrels in August and found fresh deer heads and remains out in the woods from poachers. I dont see the point in it but i guess if no one isaround and youre miles from the nearest town in the middle of no where then i guess you can just about get away with anything. Pretty sure these guys woudnt take to kindly to someone walking up on them and Im sure there would be some kind of fall out so I keep my trusty Ruger 40SW with me at all times and before I enter the woods I always say a little prayer, "Let my aim be steady so that every shot counts". What are you to do if youre getting shot at because you walked up on someone that was up to no good?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Not at gunpoint specifically but hinted at. If that makes any sense. None of them have ever fought it though. It's not worth it.

Quick Reply: POACHING IS BIG BUSINESS!! AND GETTING WORSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.