Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Buck.... NEED HELP!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Big Buck.... NEED HELP!

Just my two cents.

2 acres is not enough land to hunt on.

I don't know who your neighbor is or what their situation is. But if it was me, I would do what ever it took to make friends with the people thatowns the land and get permission to hunt there.

Shooting a deer that another person has spent all year feeding and taking care of is dirty pool. Like my grandpa usta say - it's like milking your neighbors cow.

If it is leased property, join the lease. If it is a camp - offer to camp sit during the year and maybe even cut the grass for them a couple of times a year. If it is a private landowner - then make friends.

Too many people now a days wants everything easy and nobody seem's to be willing to work to get it.

I have bailed hay for free, fixed the farmers tractor or private vehicle.

Put up siding, shopped at their stores did what ever it takes.

Even after all of that, if they are lucky I only hunt there one or two days a year.

Even a offer of small game to the landowner is very much appreciated.

A case of beer or a good bottle of wine or a ham or turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas will make you a friend for life.

Old people enjoy getting a Christmas card.

A person that stayed at my house last year for the opening week of rifle season didn't even offer me anything - and didn't even send me a Christmas card last year. Next year I will tell him that the Inn is full and he will have to stay at the Motel 6!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my two cents.

2 acres is not enough land to hunt on.

I don't know who your neighbor is or what their situation is. But if it was me, I would do what ever it took to make friends with the people thatowns the land and get permission to hunt there.

Shooting a deer that another person has spent all year feeding and taking care of is dirty pool. Like my grandpa usta say - it's like milking your neighbors cow.

If it is leased property, join the lease. If it is a camp - offer to camp sit during the year and maybe even cut the grass for them a couple of times a year. If it is a private landowner - then make friends.

Too many people now a days wants everything easy and nobody seem's to be willing to work to get it.

I have bailed hay for free, fixed the farmers tractor or private vehicle.

Put up siding, shopped at their stores did what ever it takes.

Even after all of that, if they are lucky I only hunt there one or two days a year.

Even a offer of small game to the landowner is very much appreciated.

A case of beer or a good bottle of wine or a ham or turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas will make you a friend for life.

Old people enjoy getting a Christmas card.

A person that stayed at my house last year for the opening week of rifle season didn't even offer me anything - and didn't even send me a Christmas card last year. Next year I will tell him that the Inn is full and he will have to stay at the Motel 6!

I know that 3 acres of land is not a whole lot, but its nice just to walk out in your backyard and sit in a stand. I also have a 55 acre farm that we get to hunt during rifle season, I mainly hunt my 3 acres with my bow.

We also tried asking the landowner to hunt his land, but he hunts it and I wouldn't want to make this guy angry. He is one of the biggest lawyers in the county.

And last I am pretty sure if a guy seen a GIRL wanting to work for them, they would probably think I was joking, since girls really cant fix a tractor and I wouldn't want to try and mess something up. I would bale hay for free....if I had a tractor.

Thanks for the advice though, I will eventually ask, but Im content where I am for now.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mypersonal opinion would be to make a mock scrape or scrape line. I did this last year and had great sucess on a piece of propety i had never hunted before. remember a deer can smell anything and can even tell how long ago a doe came through just by scent.