Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CWD.........Really?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Default RE: CWD.........Really?

I know CWD is believed to be from cows. Its thought that the deer eat some of the cows food(which has cows blood and what not from other cows) that is a cause of mad cow. It is very hush hush. You can’t even wash this disease off metal, these things called Prions. If hospitals get the human form they have to throw away the surgical instruments that come in contact with it. So don’t ever attempt to eat a deer that even might have this.

So I’d say any means necessary to get this out of deer herds needs to be done.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 AM

know CWD is believed to be from cows. Its thought that the deer eat some of the cows food(which has cows blood and what not from other cows) that is a cause of mad cow. It is very hush hush. You can’t even wash this disease off metal, these things called Prions. If hospitals get the human form they have to throw away the surgical instruments that come in contact with it. So don’t ever attempt to eat a deer that even might have this.

Thats crazy hilarious!!!!!!!!
What seems to be your fact finding resource??!/!!?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM

know CWD is believed to be from cows. Its thought that the deer eat some of the cows food(which has cows blood and what not from other cows) that is a cause of mad cow.
Well that theory is not that crazy...it is subject to reflexion..

When mad cow farmers had to throw feed away, alot of it as dumped in the woods.. The deasease (CWD) symptomsare similar to mad cow desease.

Maybee, maybee not ...But it not that crazy...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: ILBOW

I know I'm not an expert on this issue.
But I happen to read alot, CWD is'nt my general area of expertise

Mchenry county
(these #'s are just an example)

The DNR sharpshoots 100 deer and 2 have CWD.
Now the DNR sharpshoots 400 deer and 7 have CWD.
why do we freak out about 7????
We should be FREAKIN" about the 400!!!

Is CWD the problem or is our over-zealous department finding
ways to alert the community over something that may be naturally
"Same as it ever was?"
Maybe the increase in population brings disease
Just look @ humans.
just my thoughts

Killing the animals I am sure is cheaper than catching and testing 1000 deer, but catching and testing the deer won't stop the CWD from spreading....for all we do is send the deer back to the affected area. Killing at the moment is the most effective way of stopping the spreading of CWD.

Here in Alberta we have I believe 9 or is it 11 deer that had CWD. There is a good chance there are more deer with CWD. Were allowed3 deer from the CWD areas ( 2 must be does) the third can be a buck. When we turn in our 3 deer heads then we can get 3 more deer. $18.00 for 6 deer.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man whered ya get that from??? I have known people that have eaten Elk with CWD and they are still alive and kicking and hunting. I know people that have eaten cwd infected deer and are still alive and kicking.....If yout theroy was correct I think noone would be eating venison because ANY deer could have it, tested or not. So baiscally what youre saying is that you just shoot the deer and dont eatit because IT MIGHT have CWD??? Just rememberthe next time that you eat a beef steak..Dont eat it, it might have MCD. Ohh yea dont drink Yagermiester either, you might get CWD.When Yager Miester was first developed back what, over 100 years ago, theyused deer blood. Yager meens Deer, Miester meens Master. But you do what you want, Ill keep on eating venison and Im sure most of here will too. Ohh yea that brings up another one, do you eat deer that have deer ticks on them??? or do you let them rot incase they have lymes disease in fear that you might get it??

ORIGINAL: Steve8511

I know CWD is believed to be from cows. Its thought that the deer eat some of the cows food(which has cows blood and what not from other cows) that is a cause of mad cow. It is very hush hush. You can’t even wash this disease off metal, these things called Prions. If hospitals get the human form they have to throw away the surgical instruments that come in contact with it. So don’t ever attempt to eat a deer that even might have this.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:49 AM

Sorry bud Yager Miester means “master hunter”, let me guess you speak really really bad German, ha ha .

Your in an in an denial state about CWD and from where your from explains it. Why don’t you look up Mad cow and how it relates to CWD. You ever heard of Prions, I don’t think so by you liquor knowledge. Well these cannot be destroyed by cooking them. SO DON’T EVER EAT AN ANIMAL WITH CWD! You have to be completely stupid to put this in the same category as lyme disease. This will not show up as problems for you for years probably. But don’t worry it affects your nervous system so you won’t be conscious enough to realize it.

So go learn something and get back to us.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's one for ya. Why doesn't the DNR look at the deer first B4 they kill'em. I've seen pics of deer w/CWD and gosh they don't look all that healthy. Try a spotting scope rather then mowing down hundreds of deer at a time. Here in MB we're not allowed to bait for just these reasons....... CWD being transmitted through saliva. STranger thing is there still hasn't been a single case of CWD reported in MB. We're just being pro-active and don't want it to ever show up.
As for eating meat infected. If Cwd is the same/similar to mad cow, then all meat should be boned out. Special care must be taken when dealing w/spinal chord. The disease is spread thru there, the human cases of mad cow were mostly coming from the UK. All from small butcher shops who bought whole cows and did everything from start to finish. the blade of a knife or saw contacted the spinal fluid(marrow) and was transmitted to the staeks or other meat from there.No more chops just boneless backstraps. My .02cents
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!!!

Q:
What is Chronic Wasting Disease?

A:
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is an infectious, neurologic disease of cervids, which includes North American deer and elk. A member of the family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), CWD has been diagnosed in free-ranging and captive cervids. Other TSEs include bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, sometimes called "mad cow disease") and scrapie.

Q:
What causes CWD?

A:
The agent that causes CWD has not been completely described, but three possibilities have been proposed: an unconventional virus, a prion (a self-replicating protein), or a virino (an incomplete virus). The theory accepted by most scientists is that CWD is caused by a prion. Infection does not cause a detectable immune response or inflammatory reaction like those that might be found with bacterial or conventional viral infections. On the basis of what is known about other TSEs, it is assumed that the agent causing CWD is extremely resistant to sterilization.

Q:
How is CWD transmitted?

A:
Researchers believe that CWD is spread between cervids through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine, or feces. Evidence exists that the disease can be transmitted from mother to offspring. Environmental transmission is also possible. It is not likely that CWD is transmitted via contaminated feed, but methods of feeding that concentrate herds may facilitate animal-to-animal transmission.

Q:
What clinical signs are associated with CWD?

A:
Chronic wasting disease causes progressive degeneration of the central nervous system and most often affects adult animals. The most obvious and consistent clinical signs are progressive weight loss and dehydration. Other signs include changes in temperament (loss of fear of humans, nervousness, hyperexcitability), changes in behavior (teeth grinding, walking in repetitive patterns in pens), incoordination, excessive thirst and urination, drooping of the head and ears, and excessive salivation. The incubation period is usually 18 to 24 months, but can range up to 36 months, and the health of affected animals typically deteriorates over a period of 12 months. There is no treatment for CWD and infection always leads to death.

Q:
How is CWD diagnosed?

A:
Chronic wasting disease is usually diagnosed by microscopic examination of the brain stem, lymph nodes, and tonsils after an animal's death. The presence of the abnormal prion protein in brain tissue is a positive indication of infection; however, the protein is not detectable until at least 3 months after infection, so negative results do not confirm the absence of infection.
Colorado researchers have developed a test that can be used to detect CWD in live animals. This test appears to work well for mule deer, but not for elk.
Q:
How is CWD prevented?

A:
Because transmission mechanisms are still not well understood, it is difficult to recommend specific preventive strategies. Testing, surveillance, and culling are performed in an attempt to identify and contain the disease. Unfortunately, no vaccine or preventatives exist, and there is no evidence that immunity to CWD develops.
The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) provides assistance to state officials in diagnosing CWD and in monitoring international and interstate movements of animals to help prevent its spread. In an effort to contain and eventually eradicate CWD, state and federal agencies are regulating and/or banning interstate movement of captive cervids, enforcing more stringent hunting policies, creating joint task forces, and developing state-specific guidelines.
Q:
How does CWD affect farmers and hunters?

A:
Members of the general public, hunters, and owners of captive cervid herds must take precautions necessary to reduce transmission. Wild animals appearing to be ill should be reported to wildlife officials. Feeding and baiting deer should be limited as this is an activity that brings deer into close contact with one another. Double fencing of captive herds will lessen contact with wild animals, and vigilant surveillance and testing of these herds is recommended. Hunters should:
[ul][*]avoid harvesting deer or elk that appear sick[*]wear rubber gloves while field dressing animals[*]remove all bone and fatty tissue from the meat of animals[*]minimize handling of the brain, spinal cord, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes, and eyes[*]avoid consuming any animal with positive test results for CWD[*]not remove anything but pure meat (muscle) from areas where CWD is known to exist. [/ul]
Q:
Can CWD be transmitted to other animal species?

A:
There is currently no evidence that CWD is transmittable to other ruminants such as sheep, cattle, or goats under natural conditions. Neither livestock housed with infected deer or elk, nor those that have ingested the brain tissue of infected animals have developed the disease. Chronic wasting disease has been experimentally transmitted to mice, ferrets, mink, goats, squirrel monkeys, and calves by artificial means such as injection directly into the brain.

Q:
Can humans contract CWD?

A:
No evidence exists that CWD is naturally transmitted to humans, either through contact with or by eating meat from infected animals. Routine precautions should be taken when handling carcasses of animals that may be infected.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "It is generally prudent to avoid consuming food derived from any animal with evidence of a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy. To date, there is no evidence that CWD has been transmitted or can be transmitted to humans under natural conditions. However, there is not yet strong evidence that such transmissions could not occur."