Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any tips for a new hunter???

Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any tips for a new hunter???

get a scent lok and or scent blocker suit...

buy as many of the drury outdoors, primos, or team realtree deer hunting videos....watch, take notes and learn from those...

practice, get into the woods, scout, study maps, ask locals about hunting spots...etc...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Takea Hunter Safety Courseif you havn't yet.

Wearing a safety harness when in a tree stand will keep you hunting for many years.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out if you can get any aireal photos of the area that you are going to hunt. Even some topographical maps will assist you. These will help esp. if you are unable to pre-scout the area. Look to see if you can find travel corridors from feeding areas to bedding areas. Keep asking questions and reading the forums here for their are many experienced people with tons of knowledge.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

No offence toJNTURKbut i wouldnt take alot from hunting shows you see on tv. Most take place on highfenced areas and iKNOW alot of people on here that would put them to shame.... You can watch the videos to get the blood pumpn but be carefull bc alot of vidoes just getyou to think u need alot of products tokill deer. I suggest getting a book by the deer doctor-Peter Fiduccia.It explains alot of things.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 AM

No offence toJNTURKbut i wouldnt take alot from hunting shows you see on tv. Most take place on highfenced areas and iKNOW alot of people on here that would put them to shame.... You can watch the videos to get the blood pumpn but be carefull bc alot of vidoes just getyou to think u need alot of products tokill deer. I suggest getting a book by the deer doctor-Peter Fiduccia.It explains alot of things.

hes got a real good point!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just hunt the food source ....the doe's follow their stomach and the bucks will follow the doe's sooner or later.

dd

Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Pretty awesome tips to be honest. Right now the plan is to hunt a couple times this year with the much knowledgable cousin. Once I decide that I'm ready to go at it alone, I will hunt NJ (although I hear that I am as likely to get shot as a buck is). Gonna be on public land so I'm thinking a ladder stand may be my best choice. I like the whole scouting idea too. I want to at least learn my prey, know their thoughts, so I can think quicker then them when the time comes. Since I have a shotgun at the moment, what's the thoughts on rifles and bows? I want a rifle for PA and a bow once I get used to the guns.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice a lot and be PATIENT. And...most everyone on this board is here to help you so take advantage of these forums. These guys know a lot!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

My 2 cents again are to proble not go with a ladder stand. Why you say, bc
1. People will know where you are hunting/move in on you.
2. People WILL sit in it if they find it.
3.They will try to steal it.
4. LAst but def not least you will be limited to one spot to hunt, Spend a little bit of money and get a nice comfy LIGHT climber and i bet you wont regret it.
As you are new to the sport you want to be able tomove and adjust your stand. You also want to be able to find the fresh food source and be able to move in quick.
You want to be moble esp on public land..... ive had places on public land that where perfect and i set stadns up before the season to show up to hunt and find everyone and there brother in the woods and people setting up around me....

ps. you want to be able to hunt the WIND. One stand =limited hunting bc of the wind.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:56 PM

you will learn alot off of forums and other websites and lots of practice.