Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Be Honest

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Be Honest

This year if anything good size comes in front of my i am gunna try and drop it. cause i have not shot any kind of deer, how ever when i do get my first deer i will let the small ones pass.

[/align]
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM

I like to eat!
If I can eat it I'll shoot it with whatever.
If I could take a fawn with a rubberband and a pencil....I would!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 PM

I don't shoot the first thing that walks past me in gun or bow season. I set standards for what kind of deer I would shootfor the seasonand ifthe doesn't meet it I will let it walk. Example-Bow season I had a plan to shoota big mature doe that was by herself. It took me a month todo passing up a lot of other deer but it was worth it. In a buck Iwas looking for any deer 135" or bigger. For gun season I geteven more picky on a buck. I don't shoot anything that won't go 150" or better. I will shoot does during gun season but I make sure there is no chance for a buck to be with her. I didn't get a buck this year but that doesn't matter to me. I seen deer that met my standards I just didn't have a perfect shot. Thats ok though think how big it will be this season.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: redneck buck hunter

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

Well here at home we don't have a limit on the number of deer that we can kill. So, if a mature doe comes out I usually watch it to see if anything else is with it. If she is alone, most of the time I will shoot her. If she has yearlings, I will watch them for a while and see how big they. If they are big enough, I will shoot the mature doe. If I think the yearlings need to stick with mom a little longer, I will let her go.

Smaller bucks I usually let walk. If I feel like shooting one. I will. If not, they walk.

Here in South Carolina our buck to doe ratio is terribley out of balance. I used to let does walk alot until I done a lot of reading and research about the buck to doe ratio theory. So now, like i stated above, I kill more does that in my past.

I have a very small tract of land (18ac.) That I do most of my hunting on. On a good day of hunting on this tract of land, I have passed up 10 does to wait on a decent buck. Since I've started shooting more does, I have been seeing a lot more MATURE bucks.

This year will be the first season that I get to use my new bow. So, I plan on taking as many does as I can.

Same here, i live in sc and hunt a small peice of land.My "shooter" criteria is the same.

I do the exact same thing except on a bigger piece of property i will shoot nice 8 and better.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I usually let the deer go by unless it is atleast a 130 class buck. When the season starts to come to a close then the only safe deer is a small buck, other wise its backstrap heaven. I do have a hard time passing up a doe if she spends to much time in my sight because she gives me too much time for me to talk myself into shooting her.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I agree Roadkillwarrior. Glad to see another Vermillion county resident here...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

How many hunters shoot the first deer that walks by them during the firearms season. That includes shotguns, rifles or muzzleloader. I myself am picky and wont shoot a yearling doe or button buck.
Well if its a mature buck and its the first thing than yes. See the way i hunt is that we dont shoot any thing under 6 pts at are free rome hunting camp up north but in public if its a buck i will shoot only if its not a yearling. i was taught that you NEVER... shoot a yearling or button/spike i was told that. because then there will be no bucks the next year. if its like the last day and i see a mature doe i will shoot it over no deer. so no i wont shoot the first deer i see UNLESS.. its a mature buck.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well being how you requested honesty I'll start with the fact that I do not hunt deer for antlers. I hunt deer for meat.I love the taste of venison.

Sure I go for a good buck, but that is after the freezer will be properly and adequately filled.

I shoot the first BIG FAT DOE I see. And then I return to my knees and thank the good Lord.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as there are no spots, either the 6.5 or the 06' is going BOOM! I'm going to be in college the next few years, and chances are I'll only be hunting Thanksgiving (for Bullwinkle) and Remembrance Day for deer, so since my oppurtunities are limited, I'm not going to be very picky.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My situation usually determines if/what I shoot. My family and I love to eat deer meat, so I am not too picky. I really like the little ones too, but I try to not shoot a button buck.

Quick Reply: Be Honest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.