Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rain hunting tips

Old 01-16-2002, 11:42 AM

Default Rain hunting tips

Green field or woods?
shooting house or stand?
morning? mid-day? afternoon?

we have a lot of rain coming here in alabama. I have never hunted in the rain. is it worth it?

Old 01-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rain hunting tips

Yes it is well worth it. The deer will bed down during a down pour, but once the rain lets up the deer will start moving, they will also move before a downpour.

The Tazman
Old 01-16-2002, 12:20 PM
New Sheriff

Contrary to popular beliefs, I have found that the deer will be in areas of open terrain rather than thick cover during a hard rain (ie-grow over fields, open wooded areas, etc).

Scent cannot carry during a rain like it does when it is dry, thus leaving the deer without their most vital defense. Also, hearing is impaired due to the noise of the rain. This leaves the deer with only one defense still usable, their eyesight (which just happens to be their weakest). I have found that a slow stalk thru open terrain really pays off during a good rain.

Just my $.02
Old 01-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Wear that rain gear 'cause hunting in the rain is GREAT!!!
Old 01-18-2002, 03:41 AM

I've hunted in the rain quite a few times, and loved it! Got soaking wet in the process but stayed warm (low 60's) by wearing; t-shirt, turtleneck, and 2 sweaters, under camo. No rainsuit. It's completely different feeling, I don't know why but it is. Sort of magical.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:06 PM

Greets,

While I have yet to take game in the rain, in the off season I have seen and haerd of others seeing a lot. Deer like to be aware of predetors, so when its raining they will move to relatively open areas that they can see distances, since there sense of smell is no use, and hearing is hampered my the raining. I do know from experience that they wont move around much in heavy rain, but as I believe was already pointed out, when it lets up they get VERY active. Give it a try, and let us know.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 01-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best thing to do in the rain is to still-hunt or stalk deer. There isn't a better time to do it.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 02-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with KShunter,a slow stalk during a light rain is great.I wear a camo poncho to cover my gun and just walk slowly.What else is there to do in camp.Last time I did it I walked up on a spike just a working on his scrape.

Edited by - FlDeerman on 02/01/2002 22:19:06
Old 02-01-2002, 09:27 PM

If you have the luxury of spending alot of time on your hunting ground find where they bed when it rains. As a general rule they do tend to seem to favor beding in more open areas. There are two does where I hunt that bed in a cane break ONLY when a storm is comming in.

In addition to keeping noise and scent down rain can make trails easier to spot. When the leaves are nice and wet the trails will literaly jump out at you. Bedding areas also are easir to find for the same reason.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:36 AM

I believe deer do move during heavy rain. I've shot many deer in storms that I almost didn't even go out to hunt in. Sit as long as possible then still hunt. Be patient and try to stay as dry as possible. Watch for the scope getting wet also. Anytime of day can be successful.

Quick Reply: Rain hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.