Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Many deer hunting questions... >

Many deer hunting questions...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Many deer hunting questions...

Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Many deer hunting questions...

I've read quite a few threads without really posting much...just observing to gather my thoughts for meaningful questions. One that I've thought about a lot is that many of you post that you will scout an area for many days, or even weeks, before going out for the kill. Just curious, what do you guys do that affords you this amount of time away from home and work? Is there such thing as a professional deer hunter?

And some other questions that I have been thinking about, if anyone wants to answer...

1. How do you determine proper tree stand placement with regard to wind? Doesn't the wind change often?
2. Do deer generally stay around the same area, and how do you scout an area without alerting the deer, e.g. accidentally stumbling right into their beding area and scaring off a whole bunch of them?
3. Do you all hunt private land owned by you or your friends, or do you hunt public land?
4. (follow-up to #3) How do you go about finding private land to hunt if you don't know anyone?
5. Do you typically field dress a deer on site, or sled him out to a "weigh station" or whatever they're called? If on site, do you leave the entrails, take them with, bury them? How about the head (for does not bucks)?
6. Should I subscribe to some magazine rather than bore you all with my ridiculous questions? How about a hunting class?

I guess that's it for now. Keep in mind I have no clue about the subject of hunting, so these may be dumb questions. I also have detailed questions about the art of field dressing. I read a little how-to which included drawings...the tying of the anus bit and the pulling of the skin was rather gross, but it's something I really want to do, so I'll just have to get used to the idea.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Default RE: Many deer hunting questions...

Oh, another question I thought of...

7. With regard to rifle hunting, do you aim at the same target area as with bow hunting (heart/lungs), or can you go for a head shot? Is it hard to hit the brain and is it considered inhumane to do so?

Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will try to get to these tomorrow. Someone else might chime in though before that.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:03 PM

1. Yes obviously the wind frequently changes directions, just put your stand where you have good sight.

2. Yes deer usually stay around the same area, and as far as scaring them off goes it's going to happen sooner or later.

3. I hunt public land.

4. Join a local hunting club, make friends.

5. The very firs thing you do is tag the deer then immediately field dress it. Leave the entrails on site, some animal will eat em' real fast. Don't remove the head of any sex deer. After you get them out of the woods you bring em' to the weigh station.

6. It can't hurt subscribing to a magazine, but generally you'll find all the info you need here.

7. Yes always aim for the vitals no matter what your weapon is. As far as shooting heads the debate could go on forever whether it's ethical or not. I myself see it as disrespectful, it also doesn't leave any room for error.

By the way you can find alot of information by going to HuntingNet's homepage > The top left tab "HuntingNet" > Deer Hunting.

Hope I helped, good luck out there! Be smart!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just some thoughts to your questions...
As to the time away from home or work...Hunting is a way of life for our entire family. My wife, 2 sons and myself all partake in all of the activities. We have already started our scouting for next season. Our new stands will be placed over the next month. These outings are family activities and outings that allows us to work and have fun together, working for common cause. Since our main hunting area is about 90 min. from home we make a day out of it on the weekends.This makes for some great family time.I get 8 weeks offduring summer months so allows for much more time in the bush. Bow starts last week of Aug. so we are ready to go by then.
1. Even though wind swirls, it does blow in a general direction at certain times of the year. You find this out both from recorded data as well as experience. If you have only one stand then you may be screwed but in a hot area I may have 3 or 4 (in one area I have 6 stands, as I said it is a family activity)so if the wind is irregular I still have options. Is this more work...yes...butwhen you are restricted to "x" amount of days to hunt a year I don't take chances.
2. Deer roam but the closer you get to the rut the smaller the area. I believe, just from my observations that does will stay in familiar areas in their family groups. Knowing feeding, watering, and bedding areas allow you to determine travel corridors which often are the best places to hunt. When you are scouting you are moving as you are during hunting season which includes the same scent reduction techniques, camo, sitting still for hours, etc. Patience is key. If you don't love just being in and feeling fortunate in being in the bush then this sport/activity isn't for you.
3/4. We hunt both private and public lands. It takes years to build relationships if you do not know land owners. In areas that I have seen deer and it has been private land, I will go to the farmer, ask for hunting access and ofter to trade some general work on the farm over the summer for the right to hunt their land. Some justhave saidok no problem, others no, and others I have assisted on the farm. One thing that I have noticed over the years is the aging population on the family farm with many of today's youth moving off the land. I have developed many great relationships with elder farmers where I have gone out to fix or build fences, do electical in barns, general home maintainance etc. Over the years I have gotten many calls from neighbours of these farmers also asking for some assistance in exchange for hunting privaledges. Where I could help I have and there are still some farms that I have yet to hunt but can if I want (just like money in the bank). Another family activity that we do is make our own jam and jelly as well making our own dill pickles. After we do we will travel out drop off some to these farmers. I know it's just alittle something but this type of interaction truly builds a great relationship. Also after I get my deer sausage made I always drop off a few rings (it is always appreciated).
5. Field dress at kill. Sooner the better. I leave the gut pile (other critters have to eat also). Take the rest with me.
6. Take a hunter safety program in your area (a must!!!). Mags. DVD's etc. are of assistance but the best way to learn is by hunting with some safe experienced hunters. Check out the Game and Fish organizations in your area. I'm sure there will be some members willing to assist. All questions are good questions if you seriously want to know.
7. Heart and lung shot is always your best bet. Stick with it.

Hope this info has been of some assistance.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Wind is a big factor find out which way the prevailing winds are out of and set stands according to that. Read everything you can on scent control.
2. Where ever you hunt you are going to push deer while scouting.Now is a good time to scout you can long range scout now and see where they are coming from.
3.Private
4.Buy a plot map of the county you want to hunt in and go knock on doors.
5.Field dress on site most places require the head on when you register the deer.
6.You can learn a lot from magazines. Go to a pro shop people who work there will help you out.
7.Heart and lungs bigger target.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's alla matter of priorities when it come to time management. Scouting time is just as important as hunting time. No one has enough, but with some juggling, most can set aside some time for both.

ok
1. You pick MANY different trees so that no matter the wind you have a place to go. OR if you have a swirling wind, do your best at scent control and just hunt.

2. Scout well before the season, so that if you spook em, it won't matter by the time the season rolls around

3. I hunt both.

4. Knock on doors. Dress nice and be polite. You will get MANY no's, but all it takes is one yes.

5. Field dress where it falls. Remove the guts and leave em. head stays on the deer until its butchered

6. Deer & deer hunting, and hang out here. Also in order to get a license you'll need to take a hunter safety class.

7. Heart lung area always. If you are in a crowded area with a gun a little higher and a little forward will bust the shoulders and drop em.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 PM

I am pretty new to this as well. This coming season will be my third. My first season, I didn't kill anything, but then I only got to go like 5 times that year. Last year, I killed my first buck(6 pt.). I tried a bunch of stuff, but what wound up working was finding a choke point between a feeding area and a bedding area. I have a climbing stand, but found I like being on the ground more, so that's how I do it. As for the cleaning the animal, its not nearly as bad as you think, and much easier as well. Lots of folks in my area take their deer directly to a processor, but I wanted to do the first one myself. I now think I'll do them all myself and just take the meat for hamburger and sausage to the processor.

You will get lots of opinions and advice on here, and my advice is listen to them all, try a bunch of stuff and see what you like, then hunt like that. If you don't enjoy your time in the woods, it won't matter what your success rate is.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Take a hunting safety class if you haven't yet. You are caring a weapon and other hunters don't like to be shot at. They will also teach you about shot placement, field dressing and some other things.

I am the only one that hunts in my family so I had learned everything on my own. Try magazines, books, videos and tv shows. You can learn different things just by reading, also visit your local bow shop or sporting goods store. But the privately owned shops are better at getting information on hunting then the kids that the chains hire
Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. I determine my stand placements byt the dominant wind in my area. Usually out of the east, west and north. I always face my stands facing as close to do north as possible. This way the sun is never in my eyes.

2. Most deer stay in the same areas but their moving behavior changeswhen it comes closer to therut. Theres really no way to prevent kicking up deer on the way in and out of your stand or when scouting. Thisis why scouting with cameras has become so big. And find alternate ways to enter and exit your stand area.You dont want the deer to pattern you. And dont over hunt a stand.

3.I hunt mostly my private land. Once in while Ill take a trip to either of my two favorite county land hunting areas.

4. Again, join a hunting club or beat on some doors. If you can gain access to private land, always offer to help out the land owner with anything. No matter how crappy the job may be. Also if youre lucky to harvest a nice deer, offer some of the harvest to the land owner, and it never hurts to get the land owner a nice gift at Christmas time. Ald most improtantly, if you are able to hunt private land, make sure you respect the land owners wishes, and pick up after yourself and after others. Keep his land clean. Youll more than likey be invited back.

5. I dress them out where they drop, this makes moving the deer much easier as in the case I had last year when I shot a 240 lb buck, dressed out, which made the deers live wieght to be around 260. Not somethign you want to be dragging around the woods or through the woods. As for the heads of does, they stay on the carcas untill the entire deer is butchered. Then the carcass goes to the farm cats, all thats left after that is bone, and the dogs love deer bones. the skulls eventually gets tossed into the woods.

6. Subscribing to outdoor magazines such as Deer & Deerh Hunting, can help you gain a better understanding about the act of deer hunting. There are useful tips and tricks in all issues that will help you on your journey. But what may work in one area of the country, may not work so well in your neck of the woods.

7. Always think ethics when bowhunting. Even if a head on shot is offered refuse to take it as its such a small area to hit not to mention theres nothing really ethical about the shot. Some may disagree but more than 90% will agree. Always go for the heart and lungs.

Quick Reply: Many deer hunting questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.