Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poison ivy

Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Poison ivy

I think i got poision ivry or oak, BUt not sure.I was in some weeds this weekend, and the next day i had a small pack of oily itchy skin on my face by my ear.Well i wake up this morning and my whoole face had the itchy red skin and bumps, and some on my arm.Im pretty sure its poision ovy.Dose anyone know any good ways to stop it?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Poison ivy

I live along the lake and the shore line or ditches along the road are full of it. I got my first batch this weekend on both arms. I rub it down hard with yellow soap like felsnaptha or lava soap and then pour rubbing alcohol on it. The pain makes the itch go away and then the drying starts. If I get it real bad like in my eyes or worse I get a shot and it goes away in a couple of days.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:24 PM

A great sugesstionI have for your arms to get it to stop itching and go away is to get some scalding hot water and let it run and htan when it is really hot put your arm under it and it will hurt for sure but it takes the itch away. for your fae they sell soaps and creams to put on and wash with while in the shower. I have used both alot ,I work outside all summer and get it about 2 times a month.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I get it each year, as well. I take a Reactine allergy pill to control the spread and getting to the healing process much faster. It has to be an allergy pill that says it controls hives on the label. Then I use expensive burn creams where needed. Do not use Calimine lotion, it makes you more sensitive to getting it again in the future.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

There is a soap you can buy called falsnapa something like that. Also calamine lotion works. Last but not least go and get a shot in your butt it is weird but it works trust me. It will be numb for a few days. But it is worth it
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Hot water works to kill the itch, but so does cold water. Wash with cold, soapy water each morning

Take benadryl as directed during the day and right before bed.

When you get in from work, place dry oatmeal on the rash for 20 mins. This works very, very well b/c the oatmeal absorbs the oil that makes you itch. Then wash with cold, soapy water again.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:57 AM

yeah that stuff is nasty
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Calamine lotion is what we use up here for it.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a little bleach,just put some onsome cotton and dab the area,that will take the itch away...[]
Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

DO NOT RUB

Straight bleach. I’m a RN and this is what I was told to use by an ER Dr and have for years. If it is on your arm or leg just pour on and let sit for a few min. Then blot to dry. DO NOT RUB WITH THE TOWEL TO DRY! For other areas just use a wad of tp soaked with bleach, again don’t rub, blot on and off. The bleach will denature the enzymes and proteins in the oils from the ivy, which causes the reaction.

mello

Quick Reply: Poison ivy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.