Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Recommended gear for a first deer hunt >

Recommended gear for a first deer hunt

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Recommended gear for a first deer hunt

Old 05-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Spike

Default Recommended gear for a first deer hunt

I'm going on my first hunt this fall in the Sierra's of California and am trying to figure out what I need to buy that I don't have yet. I'm sure there are tons of things I could buy, but as I am just graduating from school, the paychecks aren't coming in just yet and so I need to keep the list short and fairly cheap. I have the gun, but after that I really don't have much. I know I need some binoculars, and some orange, but after that I have a lot of questions. How important do you feel the following things are?

Range Finder
Camo raingear (mil surplus vs. designed for hunting)
Scent blocker

And anything else I'm missing. If I have to focus most of my money on one of these things I don't have, what should it be. Thanks for the help, all.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Recommended gear for a first deer hunt

range finder is personal choice, I dont have one and have been hunting for a few years, and dont feel like i have ever needed one. assuming you will be hunting very open terrain, it could come in handy for judging a long shot. camo rain gear, YES, nothing can ruin your hunt more then being out without rain gear when it starts to pour. I would go with a hunting designed pattern too, I dont like the military spec. Scent blockers, dont worry about, they are super expensive, once again I have never used any and still have had luck killing deer. also keep in mind that a good pair of boots and socks, a pair of gloves, and a nice backpack would greatly help the hunt.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo clothing to match the terrain (including your rain gear). Question...Is this your first deer hunt ever or just in this area? Comfortable pack, water bottle, comfortable boots (real important), extra socks, and a good knife (don't skimp here..you will have it longer than most of your gear). If you have been practicing with your rifle you should know what both you and it can do. Good optics are important esp. if you are glassing a big area that you are not familiar with. I wouldn't worry about the range finder for now. As for sent blocker, just make sure you are clean but not soapy or perfumey. Wash your hunting clothes in phosphorus free soap (if not deer will seeyou as if you are glowing). Wash clothes in sink for in the washer you will get the phosphorus from previous loads. As for a cover scent, take some pine branches and place them in a sealed container with your washed hunting clothing (or you can use scent waiffers during clothing storage.They are not expensive). Make sure you use the wind. I told my son to practise sitting still in front of a mirror. You would be surprised at how much movement a sitting still person does. Pack a note pad and pen to record your days. In a few years you will realize how important this is (record times, places, wind direction, temp., moon phase, atmospheric presure, deer seen, direction of deer movement, deer groups, bucks, does, other animals, cloud cover, diagrams of deer trails, deer sign, etc.). Most of all have fun. Any more questions let the forum know for there are many with great advice and knowledge.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

The rangefinder might come in handy if you're hunting with a shotgun or muzzleloader, but it's not essential. Something to consider if you end up getting weighed down by your gear.

I'd recommend a decent compass, atopo map (especially if you're hunting more than a few hundred acres), some good binoculars, and a sharp knife (3" blade ought to do it). Everything else is optional depending on your preferences. And, of course, a good gun or bow that's sighted properly, and that you know you can hit the bullseye on the first shot with.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

GPS

Add a lightweight hammock and some freeze dried foods and you'll be prepared for nearly anything. A water purifying bottle/system would also be a good idea, they're cheap insurance against a bout of giardia and will save you from having to pack clean water in. I've seen serviceable ones for under $20.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the tips, guys. This will be my first deer hunt, period. However, I am somewhat familiar with the area I'll be hunting in, but I haven't actually ever been there with the purpose of looking for deer. As far as outdoor gear not related to hunting I should have most of it already covered, and although I grew up doing orienteering, a GPS is sounding pretty tempting. I think I'll probably hold off on the range finder as I don't anticipate taking any shot much over 200 yards, atleast that's the farthest I've shot at the range and so I don't know what I could do going longer than that.

A couple more questions: I was planning on buying camo raingear that would be fairly quiet, but I'm pretty clueless as to what pattern would be best. The terrain is oaks at the lower elevations with firs and other conifers higher up. I'd like something that would work alright anywhere because I will be spending a few years back in Indiana and I realize that the terrain and vegetation is quite different from what we have out west.
Would I be okay just getting a decent rain set, and layering clothes underneath if it's cold?

What do you guys do as far as bathing is concerned the week leading up to the hunt? I imagine deodorant is a no-no, but are there specific type of scent-free soap out there that you use?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM

I hunt a large part of the Sierras in Nor Cal. If you let me know what zone you will be hunting, I can give you some gear reccomendations for that area.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

dr. bullseye,

I was hunting for many years before I started worrying about scent control and rangefinders, so maybe you are more prepared than you think for a first hunt.

Given your limited budget, put off the rangefinder. That is more of a luxury item and is not that necessary for regular rifle hunting. As stated above, if you shoot your rifle enough you will get used to what it can do out to about 200 yards or so.

For scent control, do not go spend a bunch of money on scent-lok. I would get one of those kits for about $30 that has the soap, deodorant, clothes wash, and the spray (for your clothes when you about to go in the field).

Also, don't forget your license, tags, and hunter's orange. Game wardens like to pick on new hunters!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Spike

Any suggestions on good/bad scent suppression systems?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'dget some rubber boots to contain your scent. Camo isn't even important when gun hunting, but it never hurts.

Quick Reply: Recommended gear for a first deer hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.