Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is the better hunter?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who is the better hunter?

I personally do not see why hunting has to be a contest of sorts! Who gets the most deer, the biggest buck, who cares??? If this is all I got out of hunting I probably wouldn't hunt anymore!

Hunting is what you get out of it! I hunt for the joy I get out of it! JMO!!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Who is the better hunter, who knows... Some states are harder than others. Here in Indiana we have the one buck rule. If your lookin for meat then have at it, you can kill a buck and a bunch of does. But if your trophy hunting good luck cause we have way to many hunters. Lets just say here in a hundred acre square you could have up to 10 hunters. Really its very sad. I can hunt opening morning of gun season and hear over 100 shots. I myself love to bow hunt and gun hunt (muzzleloader). Our season here in Indiana begins OCT 1st (bow). But there are a lot of hunters (gun) who thinks the first day is in the middle of NOV. Far from the truth. I have to say the gun hunters here in Indiana (my area) shoot up the woods and fields. I could ramble about Pumpkin head season here in Indiana. Just my opinion...
Old 05-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

not much harder hunt'n than here in Florida. not uncommon to lose 2 or more quarts of blood to skeeters while in the tree. heck i've even huntedone spot where i had to scare off a 10 foot gator before sun up so i could get to my treestand
Old 05-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who's the better hunter? I realize hunters are competitive, and its important to them.

How do rate what is and what is not? If you go out and shoot a deer, isn't that what it's all about? I realize some area you can shoot multiple deer and others not. I also realize from some of the post that I have read that some areas are easy to find deer in. Here if you see a couple of deer in the season you have done something. As another fellow said earlier I would love to Jackie Bushman and the other TV hunters try it up here. So, does it make any other hunter better than the next guy? We hunt our own turf so we can study how and where to hunt. What makes success is how well you know the area you are hunting in. So the question goes on who is the better hunter? The one where the deer have been hanging around the feeder or the one that works hard to find one? I will let you decide.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Tracking and still hunting offers me the most challenge for rifle hunting. To be successful you need lots of space and few other hunters to mess you up. I particularly like Northern Maine, Northern New Hampshire and Northern Vermont to hunt in this way. I may try the Adirondacs in New York this year. Sitting in a blind or stand overlooking a food plot iscertainly more productive and rewarding for those who like to hunt that way but it isn't for me. I really enjoy moving while hunting and will often cover several miles in a day. And like someone else said I would like to see Jackie Bushman try to score consistently that way.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:38 PM

I'm not gonna guess as to who the better hunter is, but if you know a guy who scores on nice bucks in a big woods setting every year than you know a very good(smart) hunter.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Who can kill the most deer or the most bucks is certainly no sign as to who the better huter is. In this day and age, who the heck couldn't kill a bunch of deer with modern equipment.

You want the best hunter then show me the men who can consistently tag MATURE animals from their area and I'll show you THE best hunter in your region.

Numbers are for rookies and kids, consistent quality comesfrom a level of dedication and knowledge gained through experience.
My thoughts exactly.
If that the case put me in that category...
How ever I think theres alot more to it than that.
Now I'm a rifle hunter and I take pride in my marksmanship,however one thing I do lack is any desire to try Bowhunting ..
Especially hunting the open west for mule deer and elk sheep and goat...
I think what makes a great hunter is being able to take these big matureanimals consistantly using this technique...
But reguardless bowhunting is a challenge no matter what animal one is hunting and the odds are in favor of the animal in just about every case.....
I can appreciate a hunter who can do this and to me it make them a better hunter..

Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Being the best you can be at your chosen method is good enough for me. Taking anything at 500 yads is an art in itself.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry,

Are you hunting private land? Are you leasing? And if not it raises a question I've had since I moved here. Can you hunt any public land you see that is not state park?

If you go to the Eastern shore everything is private property or the public land is hunted hard. Sure, there are a ton of big bucks but you have to pay to hunt the property or it's already leased.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Good habitat doesn't make you a better hunter, it just gives you more opportunities. I think that a big buck is not a statement of how good a hunter you are. Different places offer differentopportunities and not all places hold trophies.

Bottom line...it doesn't matter how good a hunter others think you are, you only need to impress yourself.

Quick Reply: Who is the better hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.