Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is the better hunter?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who is the better hunter?

Sorry, the above is for 2005-2006. The following would be for last year:
There were4596 deer killed in Alleghany county (Dan's Mountain), 2648 bucks and1948 does. There were2533 deer killed in PG county,906 bucks and1627 does.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2007/030107a.html
Old 05-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whos to say who the better hunter is ...is it based on numbers, rack size, or knowledge ? I think its all conjecture, some harvestthe numbers due to the bag limits in certian states like Alabama allows you to rack up numbers if you have the time to spend in the woods ...as some of you know I took 13 deer back in 05 and had some fun with it on here BUT I can ASSURE you that is no reflection on my hunting skills ...I am average at best ....and as for rack size that is mostly dictated by where you get to hunt ..I have taken a big 185 but it was in Alberta ..I hunted very hard but to be honest it does not reflect on my hunting skills either..you cant kill big deer where there are no big deer but does that make you less of a hunter .... I know Big Country enough from on here to say that I bet'cha hes as knowleable of a hunter as this forum has .... but like I said its all based on conjecture ..... The one whogrows old with the most fond memories in the woods is the winner ...JMHO

dd
Old 05-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

The best way to see who the better hunter is is to go hunting with the person you are comparing to.

I know was you mean by being proud of a hard hunt that resulted in a lesser deer.

To me, my spot and stalk hunts mean a lot more and more rewarding than my sit and wait hunts. I rarely even talk about my hunts unless they are the spot and stalk hunts even though my best deer have been killed by waiting for them to come to me.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

And that's why its open to conjecture....You would have a hard time spotting and stalking deer on our farms in Eastern NC...Pretty hard to sneak up on a deer when the cutover is so thick that you are on your hands and knees, same with our thick cypress swamps, every step, your foot sinks a foot in the bog....This pretty much dictates that you sit and wait....

Frankly in NC its nothing to kill 5-6 deer a year, the season starts in mid-September with bow and down east the gun season comes in about October 10th and runs to the end of December...I'm more into the challenge of hunting with a bow or a flintlock, that's what keeps it fun....I don't worry about rack size, as the county that our farms are in have only produced one B&C buck that I know of (that's the down side to a large population)...I don't shoot small bucks anymore, but the local dog hunters sure do, so a 3.5-4.5 year old buck is pretty rare....

On the flip side, our turkey population isn't as good as other Southern states...My hat goes off to the hunter that can kill 2 good gobblers each year...In my opinion that's tougher (and more fun) than deer hunting...

Actually, I judge a "good" deer hunter by the hunter that kills a deer every time he pulls the trigger....I seem to have less patience as I grow older for the guys that won't (or don't) take the time to learn how to hit what they aim at and learn where to aim to have a clean kill....

Old 05-18-2007, 05:12 PM

In the grand scheme of things does it really matter who the better hunter is.I believe the better hunter is the person that can figure out what the deer are doing year in and year out.Thats usually due to hard work like scouting finding the right stand locations and outsmarting other hunters who might not have put the time and effert into hunting as they should have.I believe the person that needs to be known as the best hunter is really the person that needs there EGO stroked.Any deer hunted legally regardless of rack size or even a lack of a rack is a TROPHY and no one is owed a buck every year like some people seem to believe.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Sorry, the above is for 2005-2006. The following would be for last year:
There were4596 deer killed in Alleghany county (Dan's Mountain), 2648 bucks and1948 does. There were2533 deer killed in PG county,906 bucks and1627 does.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2007/030107a.html

Ok but heres the thing thereARE FEWER HUNTERSin PG county region..!!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know who's better but if you enjoy and look forward to your hunting then you are the winner. What else matters.?The world is competitive my hunting is one place that it isn't an issue.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What James B said.I am not looking to compete with anyone other than myself.Was I satisfied with the effort I made given the time I was able to devote to it.That's all that matters to me.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who can kill the most deer or the most bucks is certainly no sign as to who the better huter is. In this day and age, who the heck couldn't kill a bunch of deer with modern equipment.

You want the best hunter then show me the men who can consistently tag MATURE animals from their area and I'll show you THE best hunter in your region.

Numbers are for rookies and kids, consistent quality comesfrom a level of dedication and knowledge gained through experience.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Who can kill the most deer or the most bucks is certainly no sign as to who the better huter is. In this day and age, who the heck couldn't kill a bunch of deer with modern equipment.

You want the best hunter then show me the men who can consistently tag MATURE animals from their area and I'll show you THE best hunter in your region.

Numbers are for rookies and kids, consistent quality comesfrom a level of dedication and knowledge gained through experience.
My thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply: Who is the better hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.