Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 To hunt or not to hunt the full moon >

To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

I've never have been able to take it into account. For me it has been a change in atmospheric pressure that would trigger deer. Right before or after the storm.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:21 AM

i really dont care if i can im going to hunt
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

For planning a hunt, I pay as much attention to moon phase as I do my horoscope, or whether the stock market is rising or falling, or if G.W. has favorable opinion polls, or if the Cowboys are on a winning streak.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Last year was so warm, the animals were nocturnal for most of the season. The moon had a big impact on the number of animals I saw in the daytime. That said, there's no way I'm going to stay home on a day I could hunt based on the moon. I'm certainly not going to wait on the Cowboys to start winning!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allright guys, it isn't that helpful to say be in the woods at all times, as most of us would probably hunt all the time if we didn't have jobs, family, logistical problems.

I've also been interested in this "moon phase" stuff, just figuring out if it is like a horoscope or valid. The only way I've seen the moon used is as an excuse - if nobody in the camp kills, well it must be that darn full moon.

So let's assume that you only have a limited number of yard passes and the distance to your hunting grounds means you can only go 1-2 weekends a month, other than the rut, what would be the most important factor in picking weekends (weather, moon, etc.). Personally, I have not used the moon, but have made decisions based on the weather.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

as far as weather goes i seem to see more deer during rain.. as far as moon.. i havent ever payed attention to it really..
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

The full-moon is not ideal for me. The deer do all theirfeeding at night with the additional light. I have always seen less deer during thefull moon and have not noticed increased activity with mature bucks. I thinkI have readthat deer activity climaxes a week after therutting full moon.(usually in late october/early nov. here in MN)
Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting just about a week before full moon, with a north wind blowing in a 20 degree drop in temps. I will huntall theway to full moon if I can an a few days after full moon. I think that the full moon is not the controling factor that gets the deer hyped for the rut, but a contributing factor. I look for these conditionsfrom around the middle of Oct to about Thanksgiving with the shorter days. That is when I would hunt if my days were limited.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Personally, I would rather hunt a full moon than any.....I know that goes against the grain but I always see WAY more deer during a full moon phase......I really have no idea why.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there was only one choice as a weather factor, I would still choose the changing of atmospheric pressure. Check out the barommeter. Deer will feed more before bad weather sets in and start feeding just as the front moves out. Give it a try.

Quick Reply: To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.