Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 To hunt or not to hunt the full moon >

To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Old 05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

What is the concensous on hunting the phases of the moon? Would you or wouldn't you want to huntthe full moon?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

I think most hunters put too much emphasis on the full moon. Full moon or not, I will be out there hunting. Why would you not hunt during a full moon? I've killed deer before 8:00, mid-day, and late afternoon during a full moon. Bottom line is deer movement is not a guarantee, so even during a full moon they can move anytime during the day. Granted, most movement is going to be at night and maybe mid-day, but that doesn't mean they won't move any other time. Most deer movement is at night regardless of the moon phase anyway. Most hunters have a limited time they can be in the woods, so I highly doubt one will miss an entire weekend of hunting just because the moon is full. Don't worry about the moon, just hunt.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would hunt any and all days possible, regardless of moon phases. How are you supposed to shoot anything if you count out this day or that based on something that really isn't proven to keep the deer from moving? It's always better to sit there and not see anything than to just hang your hat and sit of the sofa. All of us has a lucky day now and then.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM

i would still hunt the same way but stay in the stand a little longer. I found that 10 am or so they start to move around again....good luck
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt whenever i get the chance full moon or not!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt later in the morning and see most of my action between 10 and 2. I hunt deeper in the woods farther from food sources.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Don't forget this......

Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have harvested two good bucks on full moon hunts - both with early am, so it is definately worth being out there
Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was younger...in the 60s, I asked an older gentleman to teach me how to fish for flounder, while fishing I asked when was the best time to go he responded.."Whenever the wife lets you!"

Same is true for deer...I usually see plenty of deer feeding in the fields during the night of a full moon...Less so the week following..So I adjust my stand position and move closer to the bedding area...Now, during the rut, you could see a buck chasing or looking for does during anytime of the day...
Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting anytimebut, the weather dictates alot of my hunts more so than the moon. I like to hunt the 5 or six days before the full moon an the 2 or three after the full moon.

Quick Reply: To hunt or not to hunt the full moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.