Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In the perfect world....  (another ethics poll) >

In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Camo
2.96%
Scent Control
2.96%
Bait
18.52%
Food Plots
5.93%
High Fences
27.41%
Certain Weapons (specify in reply)
5.93%
Dogs
20.74%
Stands/Blinds
2.96%
"Trophy" Hunting
7.41%
"Meat" Hunting
5.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Where is the option for none? I wouldn't want to disallow any form of legal hunting or legal hunting accessory,
What he's saying is that it's only legal if YOU say so. This is a chance to step out of the 'if-it's-legal-I-have-no-problem-with-it' cloud and actualy give an opinion on YOUR ethics.
Yeah I got it. Basically another thread for people to talk about the kinds of hunting they don't like, what a new concept. I don't think that someones ethics or moral values are compromised by using different hunting styles. A person can be an excellent father, husband, good member of the community,but then theygo hunt over a pile of bait or some fenced ranch or use dogs and now they have poor morals and bad ethics? I'm not into that train of thought, I try to keep things in perspective and I don't think how or where someone chooses to kill a deer defines their moral character most of the time. Ethics by definition is the disciplinedealing with what is good and bad, a set of moral principles or values. The principles of conduct governing an individual or a group. To be ethical is to to conform to professional standards of conduct. I wouldsay that those standards and principles governing us (hunters) as a group are the laws and rules of of your state and Dept. of Game, as far as hunting goes anyways. That doesn't mean that you have to fully agree with everything and you have the rightand ability to not participate in anything that you have a personal problem with, but that doesn't necessarily make it unethical.I don't kill deer over bait or in high fences but I don't think someone that does is doing something bad or unethical and I guess that is why I neverget the point of these threads. Now ifthat person drank a bunch of liquor all night, stole the gun he was using, and dropped off a hooker on the way to his stand which wason a fenced enclosure over a bait pile, then I would say he might be unethical but not because of the fence or the bait. It's all about perspective and of course this is just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM

I voted agianst high fences, trophy hunting, and meat hunting. In my Utopia everybody shoots does and nobody shoots immature bucks. Dogs are OK , but you only get a 3 day season in late December, you must have at least 1,000 acres, and all other regulations must still apply. Bait, in my opinion is not much different from a food plot, accept I don't think it works as well, and in my Utopia there is no CWD. By the way, I think the big CWD scare was mostly BS any way. I know it's real disease, but I don't think it will destroy our deer herds.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:25 PM

In a perfect world YOU won't be hunting MY deer, I will be. And if I'm not worried about pleasing others I will do whatever it takes to take the game I want.

Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Thw word 'ethics' may be thrown around a little too much, butthis threadwas talking about how you'd rule the land if given 'your' way.......Has nothing to do with raising children, alchohol abuse, felony theft, illegal prostitution, or community relations. I'm not sure how that part got going.....geeesh.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Throw me in that "if it is legal and you have no personal problems (ethical) with the method of hunting then go for it" crowd.....Enjoy and have a good time.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Thw word 'ethics' may be thrown around a little too much, butthis threadwas talking about how you'd rule the land if given 'your' way.......Has nothing to do with raising children, alchohol abuse, felony theft, illegal prostitution, or community relations. I'm not sure how that part got going.....geeesh.

I know I was running with the ball a little bit there(I was bored out of my mind at work)but mainly my point was that ethics are beat to death on this site on a regular basis. And since there will never be an individual ruling over a hunting utopia this just looked like another thread for people to tell the kinds of hunting they don't like and their own personal stance on what kinds of hunting practices are ethical. So I put what my definition of ethics is and how it applies to hunting(to me) and because ofmy perspective on the ethics topic and how I relate that to hunting I stated I wouldn't really want to disallow any of thepoll options.I think a good thread might be if you won the powerball lottery of 300 million dollarsand could buy a 25,000 acre ranch how would you set it up(or something like that). It's almost as unlikely as the hunting utopia but it is possible. Anyway just my .02,....... over and out.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted against bait, since I do consider that cheating, unless you're hunting bears or hunting wolves.

I think food plots are fine, I have hunted foodplots once and come up empty.

I don't see why any weapons should be banned for hunting deer, since in Utopia we train our kids to be marksmen at the age of 4, and also we make buck fever seem like nothing, since we fire .460 Weatherbys behind them while they shoot their gun at a target, so they have to overcome distraction, and shaking from getting scared, and these kids are so smart and tough in American Utopia, that they overcome, and so they can kill a deer with a .223 or a .17 HMR, because they are skilled enough to do so.

Camo, Scent Control, Stands/Blinds/Box Blinds, and Trophy and Meat Hunting are fine, hunting is about, well, hunting, not just about the deer (Though I do admit hunting wouldn't be the same without deer, lol)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a single item on the list that I would consider "unethical", but there is one that "I" consider poor sportsmanship. Since I am "KING", I will BAN EVERYTHING except stand/blind, trophy and meat hunting, and I will allow any weapon over 22 cal and under 50 cal.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I don't see a single item on the list that I would consider "unethical", but there is one that "I" consider poor sportsmanship. Since I am "KING", I will BAN EVERYTHING except stand/blind, trophy and meat hunting, and I will allow any weapon over 22 cal and under 50 cal.
.22 caliber centerfire or rimfire?
What about muzzleloaders and shotguns? Some of them are over .50 caliber.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I voted against bait, since I do consider that cheating, unless you're hunting bears or hunting wolves.

I think food plots are fine, I have hunted foodplots once and come up empty.
What makes bait cheating and food plots not? Aren't they both designed to attract deer?

Quick Reply: In the perfect world.... (another ethics poll)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.