Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lease prices?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Lease prices?

Hey guys...I'm looking for a little advice or insight. I am only 20 so I have never delt with a lease on property before. I'm just wondering what you guys pay or what you find is a reasonable price for leasing a property, for hunting purposes of course. If you don't feel comfortable discussing it on the post please PM me. I'm just wonder exactly what is reasonable for how many acres and so on. I just want to make sure before I start my search this summer for a property to lease that I won't be getting ripped off and also not making a low offer that could make it so I didn't get the property...Thanks everyone I really appreciate it
Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 AM

Default RE: Lease prices?

Our land prices here in S. Alabama average around $7.00 per acre. Our insurance for our club is $50 plus .18 cent per acre. I encourage you to think about the insurance because it covers the leaseholder and the landowner as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM

When you lease it do you lease the ENTIRE property or do you strictly lease the wooded hunting areas? Thanks for the reply Chig Daddi...I need all the advice I can get!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Just curious if you are looking for the lease land here in Indiana??
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM

You want to lease the entire property so you can kind of control what goes on. If not they may lease another part to someone else and that may interfere with your hunting.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Whitetaildave, you bet buddy...I'm currently open minded about what area I'm wanting to look in...I go to Purdue which is up here in West Lafayette. So I'm not wanting to lease too far away so that I could go on a regular basis.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM

Well, have you tried knocking on any doors yet. I would try that before I go looking to offer money for the land. I know you will have to do a lot of knocking on farmers doors, but you just may get permission for free. I plan on doing that over the summer and I will let them know that I am going to strictly bowhunt. Another thing you can do is to offer to help them with small chores around the place. Just be as personable as possible. I am assuming that you are fairly young and sometimes that plays against you, because I think it has played against me. Some people just don't think young men can be real responsible. Anyways, good luck and I hope you find somewhere to hunt for this upcoming season.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

In the Pike/Adams/Brown County areas here in Western Illinois, land leases can be anywhere from $20-$90 an acre. It primarily depends on the total acreage and how much is tillable vs. wooded. Chig daddi brings up an excellent point about the insurance as well...I sell outfitter/hunt clubinsurance and can tell you first hand, it is important to carry on any land you lease. It will also make your landowner more comfortable leasing to you since he knows he can be added to your policy.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 AM

WhitetailDave, Yea I have knocked on a lot of doors just recently for turkey property to hunt along the Wabash. Got a few properties for turkey but nothing produced yet for deer. I figured I'll just ask around for a while and if nothing materializes then start talking money. I stress the SAME thing when I talk to landowners, that I am strictly a bowhunter. Which in the past has helped some. But you right my age works against me. I'm not in the land owners shoes so I can't say exactly what he's thinking but I'm sure its something along the lines of hes too immature to handle the responsility, or will he go behind my back and bring more people on with him. I guess there are a lot of older people today that doesn't trust me generation. AND to be honest I can't blame them....But I was brought up different...to me a hand shake is a promise and a promise is to be kept. Got any suggest on counties or areas of the state to look around in? I've got some in mind but it never hurts to get a second opinion? Thanks Dave.

JohnnyLonghorns, I will definately have to check into the insurance. Does it make a difference in the type of policy or price that I will be the ONLY on the property? My dad is an insurance agent so I will have to sit down and talk to him about it...HAHA who knows maybe he will even cut me a deal!?!? haha Thanks for the advice...Once again any helps!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM

I really don't know anything about the counties up north around you anywhere. I live in southern Johnson county right by the Brown County line. Camp Atterbury is practically in my front yard. There are plenty of places to ask for permission down here, but that would be a little bit of a drive for you. But then again I drive over to Sullivan county, which is about a 2 and a half hour drive to go hunting. I am really hoping to find some private land closer to home for this year. Good luck to ya.

Quick Reply: Lease prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.