HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Stand Hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/189021-stand-hunting.html)

npaden 04-20-2007 10:21 AM

Stand Hunting...

Since it seems that every week or so a form of hunting gets put on the chopping block as lazy, unethical or slob hunting I thought we could try to put hunting from a deer stand on the block this week.

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting. Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by. Often this is done using scents and calls to further entice the deer to walk by. The deer don't seem to have much of a chance, it is like shooting ducks off a pond. Just because it is the primary method that most people use to hunt deer doesn't make it right. [:@]

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it. Forget having to field dress a deer miles from the nearest road and quartering the deer up to be able to haul it out.

It seems to me that hunting from a stand isn't really hunting at all.

My 2 cents.

Red Lion 04-20-2007 10:28 AM

RE: Stand Hunting...

ORIGINAL: npaden

Since it seems that every week or so a form of hunting gets put on the chopping block as lazy, unethical or slob hunting I thought we could try to put hunting from a deer stand on the block this week.

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting. Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by. Often this is done using scents and calls to further entice the deer to walk by. The deer don't seem to have much of a chance, it is like shooting ducks off a pond. Just because it is the primary method that most people use to hunt deer doesn't make it right. [:@]

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it. Forget having to field dress a deer miles from the nearest road and quartering the deer up to be able to haul it out.

It seems to me that hunting from a stand isn't really hunting at all.

My 2 cents.

Reads like an upset high fence hunter. ;):D I will assume that you are not though. Hunting from a stand is definitely not as strenuous as other methods, like still hunting, but still fair chase if bait, dogsand high fences not in the mix. I primarily stand hunt, do not use a ATV at all, regualarly walk good distances and drag said harvest out by hand when succeeding. I do appreciate your post though.

flfirefighter 04-20-2007 10:45 AM

Growing up in WV, we did alot of still hunting as there was only a few of us hunting on the property and we had plenty of area to cover without messing up others hunts. Now that I live in SCand a member of a hunt club with 20+ members, still hunting is not a option. I mostly hunt from a stand and occasionally sit on the ground, but we must hang our number on the stand we are hunting to let the others know where we are. Although I miss still hunting, a 2 man box allows me to enjoy the outdoors with my children and hopefully they will carry on the hunting tradition with their kids.

il coyote 04-20-2007 10:48 AM

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it.
I'm interested to see how you can back this up...

Instead of getting out and stalking the deer,
You must do all your hunting from the ground, with homemade bows, arrows, and clothing of course?

And certainly you'd never think of using anything but your own knowledge, skill, and overwhelmingexperienceto successfully hunt deer? Not even internet resources?

Nice try.

npaden 04-20-2007 11:06 AM

Most of what I posted is fairly tounue in cheek. It just blows me away the type of generalized anti posts on any type of hunting except the way the poster hunts. Things like high fences, crossbows, bait, deer drives, using an outfitter, etc. seem to be the ultimate in poor hunting choices to several and anyone that does any of that type of hunting is a slob hunter and doesn't have the skills to hunt properly.

I personally have never hunted from a stand and to me that seems like a relatively lazy way to hunt. I've seen many shows on TV where people rode up to the stand in an ATV or 4x4 so that's the way it works everywhere right? That seems to be the mentality of most who oppose the types of hunting that they've never tried.

To not stir up any controversy as to whether you have true hunting skills, I think you really would either need to use a homemade bow and arrow or a knife and stalk the animal with bare feet using 100% natural clothing that you made yourself.

npaden 04-20-2007 11:10 AM

By the way, I've never hunted in a high-fence, used a crossbow or bait, or used an outfitter, but I'm guilty of being a slob hunter because I've had 2 guyswait at the end of a box canyon on each side while a 3rd guy walked down the middle of the canyon to see if there were any deer in there.

Red Lion 04-20-2007 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: npaden

By the way, I've never hunted in a high-fence, used a crossbow or bait, or used an outfitter, but I'm guilty of being a slob hunter because I've had 2 guyswait at the end of a box canyon on each side while a 3rd guy walked down the middle of the canyon to see if there were any deer in there.
Well then....:eek:....nothing wrong with doing that to me, so if your aim is to earn slob hunter status you have a ways to go yet. ;):D

Austin/WI 04-20-2007 11:27 AM

I wouldn't knock until you've tried this method of hunting. Those "hunting" shows you watch on TV are not the way most hunting trips work - you should know that. And people I know who stand hunt put long hours into scouting and hanging stands trying to get a perfect setup. The part where deer just walk in front of you and then tip over after being shot is the last 10% of the hunt. The other 90% is spent scouting, hanging stands, going over maps and waiting in those said tree stands because the setup wasn't as sound as originally thought.

jamiebuck 04-20-2007 11:42 AM

I do alot of BOWHUNTING from a stand which is a challenge u have to put your time in for scouting to set your stand in a area were you think the deer will be coming or going to u just dont throw it in the woods at any o place,wind plays a factor i limitmy shots to no more then 25 yards up close and personal, know for shotgun season i dont hunt from a stand i enjoy being able to move around during this time of the season,

But some people injoy hunting out of stands weather they my have limetations and cant walk as far do to health reasons , whats the diffrence of taking a 150 yard shot from a stand or from the ground

AJ52 04-20-2007 11:43 AM

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting.
Wow - that's a very matter of fact statement condemning ALL stand hunters as lazy.Is this an attempt to Stir the Pot - sure sounds like it.

Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by.
I would much rather stalk deer,a great way to hunt and did so when I had vast expances of land to do so.Stalking or still hunting is not much of an option on small tracts of land where 1/2 dozen+ hunters might also be stalking or still hunting.You never know where other hunters might be,and often only accomplish pushing deer out of area.

In my neck of the woods(flat lands,coastal region)there are vast expances of marsh/wet lands with 8-10' stands of Fragmitis(sp),Marsh Grass,Sink Holes etc.These areas hold some huge animals that can't be stalked/still hunted of even seen unless your in a 10-12-14' stand,or they move out into clear within Shotgun or Muzzle range.These deer hide where hunters can't or should not attempt to venture.So we hunt from stands.

Lazy - I don't think so.

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV
Maybe in Texas but not around here.Matter of fact very small percent of hunters have ATV'S and many don't have 4WD.

I've seen more ATV'S - Hydraulic high reach stands mounted in a P/U bed, - 20ft+ Box stands - and even seen Quail hunters use Golf Carts in Texas than any other state I've been in.Is all this lazy or unethical - I don't think so.

How about Bow Hunters in stands - Lazy??