Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand Hunting...

Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand Hunting...

ORIGINAL: Offshootboy

npaden

I dont get this, first you knock stand hunting and the hunters that use this technique, then you admit you are going to try hunting from a stand and to top it offyour going to bait them in. If its so lazy and it makes us slobs why are you going to do it yourself?
You sound really two faced to me!
I was trying to make a point. It doesn't seem to be working though. [&:]
Old 04-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

Since it seems that every week or so a form of hunting gets put on the chopping block as lazy, unethical or slob hunting I thought we could try to put hunting from a deer stand on the block this week.

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting. Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by. Often this is done using scents and calls to further entice the deer to walk by. The deer don't seem to have much of a chance, it is like shooting ducks off a pond. Just because it is the primary method that most people use to hunt deer doesn't make it right. [:@]

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it. Forget having to field dress a deer miles from the nearest road and quartering the deer up to be able to haul it out.

It seems to me that hunting from a stand isn't really hunting at all.

My 2 cents.

i guess if we ALL lived in Texas where you could stalk, you might have a leg to stand on. you can't judge others methods of hunting until you factor in everything (private land, public land, terrain, hunting pressure, etc.)

i'd LOVE to see you come here and ATTEMPT to stalk in the terrain i hunt. i don't care how good you are, when you have to walk through swamps (highwater, thick palmettos, mud, etc.)...you are going to make too much noise. plus there is no way to see further than 20 yards in front of you.

this is why hunters as myself utilize climbing tree stands (i hunt public land where you can not build or set up permanent stands). it is also illegal to bait on public land, so this is out of the question aswell.

as you can see, thereare too many circumstances to factor in when attempting to justify only 1 style of hunting.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Since it seems that every week or so a form of hunting gets put on the chopping block as lazy, unethical or slob hunting I thought we could try to put hunting from a deer stand on the block this week.

It seems to me that this is a pretty lazy method of hunting. Instead of getting out and stalking the deer, you hang a stand up in a tree or sit in a little house up on stilts and wait for the deer to walk by. Often this is done using scents and calls to further entice the deer to walk by. The deer don't seem to have much of a chance, it is like shooting ducks off a pond. Just because it is the primary method that most people use to hunt deer doesn't make it right. [:@]

Most of the time they have someone drive them to their stand with an ATV or 4x4 and then after they shoot the deer they just drive up and throw it in the pickup or on the ATV and haul it back to the shed to even field dress it. Forget having to field dress a deer miles from the nearest road and quartering the deer up to be able to haul it out.

My 2 cents.

i guess if we ALL lived in Texas where you could stalk, you might have a leg to stand on. you can't judge others methods of hunting until you factor in everything (private land, public land, terrain, hunting pressure, etc.)

i'd LOVE to see you come here and ATTEMPT to stalk in the terrain i hunt. i don't care how good you are, when you have to walk through swamps (highwater, thick palmettos, mud, etc.)...you are going to make too much noise. plus there is no way to see further than 20 yards in front of you.

this is why hunters as myself utilize climbing tree stands (i hunt public land where you can not build or set up permanent stands). it is also illegal to bait on public land, so this is out of the question aswell.

as you can see, thereare too many circumstances to factor in when attempting to justify only 1 style of hunting.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop
thereare too many circumstances to factor in when attempting to justify only 1 style of hunting.
That's the point I'm trying to make. It seems like the stand hunterstend to be the onestrying to bad mouth other forms of hunting and I was trying to point out that you can pretty much bad mouth any form of hunting.

Actually, stand hunting is the primary method of hunting in Texas. I have never hunted deer in Texas though, but hopefully I will this fall.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ChrisAU

Hmmm. Well down here about 85% of our hunting is from a stand, 10% stalk hunting, and 5% pushing. We have our reasons for hunting in stands:

1. Our areas that we hunt aren't very friendly to still hunting due to the fact the deer will most of the time detect you before you detect him.

2. Bow hunting and stalk hunting don't really seem to go hand in hand; possible, and I've done it; but I'd prefer to stand hunt with a bow.

3. I do love to still hunt, but with the thick areas we hunt in, its just not practical unless your stalking the edges of fields, which I will touch on later.

4. (In defense) Our stands are all at least a 1/3 mile book, some a lot more.

5. (In defense) What gives the deer a larger percentage of survival? If I stalk him and purposely look for him, risking scaring him off the land, or if I chance that he might come in to my range, perhaps coaxed by my calls or scent, but usually not. Think about that; now which one is more ethical? Basically put, what if I wanted to see you. Would I have a better chance coming to where you live and moving around looking for you, or just posting up in your town/city and waiting for you to possibly walk by?

6. Stalk hunting is, for the most part, as I understand, glassing for deer in a field. I liken this to driving a truck through our farm and looking out the windshield for one -- and then stepping out and shooting it. It just seems that it is more ethical to research a particular deer's habits, watch him a few days, and then make him mess up with an educated placement of a stand. Stalk hunting doesn't require a lot of work in open areas...where's the scrapes? Who cares. Where's the tracks? Who cares. Where's the bedding areas, the rubs? Who cares. We are just gonna walk around till we see one. I don't like that -- do what you want, but it just doesn't seem quite as ethical to me.
This is the best one yet. Part of the defense is that you walk a whole 1/3rd of a mile. WOW, that's a LOT of work!!

Then turn around and say that stalking doesn't require a lot of work because you don't need to know where the scrapes are and you "liken" it to driving around in a pickup and getting out and shooting the deer.

It isn't uncommon to walk 10 to 15 miles in a single day hunting open country in eastern Montana but I guess compared to hiking in 1/3rd of a mile "book" to your stand that doesn't require a lot of work? Yep, it's pretty much just driving around and getting out of the pickup and shooting them. [&:] The big problem here is that people don't hestitate to bad mouth one form of hunting even though they haven't even tried it. "As I understand" generally is something you've seen on a TV show or read on the internet. I guess since you say that 10% of your hunting is "stalk" hunting you consider driving around in a pickup and shooting deer in your field as stalk hunting? That's not quite what you would do in most western states.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 PM

My 2 cents.

Not sure where you got this ATV stuff from, you clearly haven't hunted with me or where I hunt.

I'm a stand hunter by virtue of hunting heavily pressured public land. I park on the access road at 5 or earlier, then hike 1-2 hours in to one of the spots I use. ATV's can't get to where I hunt, besides I can't afford one if they did. I field dress 'em where they lay and drag them out with a rope sweating my @$$ off in the process. My buck in 2005 weighed over 200 dressed and I spent over 3 hours dragging him out through 10inches of snow. Come try dragging 200lbs through woods up and down hills dodging trees and downed branches the whole time for over 3 hours and tell me how lazy I am.

In case you're going to make the assumption I'm out of shape and that's why the drag is so hard, I'm 24, I run 15-20 miles a week at better than 8 min mile pace, and have 11% body fat at 195lbs.

I wish I had the land available to me where I could stalk hunt, but not everyone on here or every hunter in general has the luxury of large quantities of land and ATVs like you're so quick to assume.

If stand hunting was so easy "like shooting ducks off a pond" why doesn't everybody do it? It's not that easy, especially when you need them in range of a 20 ga shotgun (80 yards is the max shot I'll take) as is my situation. You have to be absolutely still, scent free and make no noise which in my book is a heckuva lot harder to do than walking within 500 yards of a deer you can see from a half mile away and lining up a shot with a scope on a deer that you can't tell if it's buck or doe without binocs. If that's your thing that's fine, I'm not gonna knock it, but don't knock what I do especially if you have no clue about the situation!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 PM
bigcountry

Dadgone npaden, you really got your feelings hurt on the deer drive post didn't ya. Dry your eyes man, it will be ok. Only a forum.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

npaden - I NOW know the point you were trying to make.
But - you obviously worded your original post in such a way that stirred up the pot.Now your gotta dig yourself outa a Big Hole

This topic is similar to the "Deer Drive" fiasco topic that crops up every single year.The same Ole TRASH TALK and throw in a few personal attacks from a few fellow hunters on Methods or Styles of Hunting that some don't agree with. If you don't like it - TS - Chill Out & Get a Life
Old 04-26-2007, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

I wouldn't knock until you've tried this method of hunting. Those "hunting" shows you watch on TV are not the way most hunting trips work - you should know that. And people I know who stand hunt put long hours into scouting and hanging stands trying to get a perfect setup. The part where deer just walk in front of you and then tip over after being shot is the last 10% of the hunt. The other 90% is spent scouting, hanging stands, going over maps and waiting in those said tree stands because the setup wasn't as sound as originally thought.
Well put.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Did I miss something or am I remembering wrong. I remember last night my lazy hunter self working for 3 hours raking leaves tilling soil and laying down seed and fertalizer for a food plot. My lazy butt plans on spending 4 to 6 hours (estimated competion time according to the plans I have) making my buck hut to put beside the food plot that I lazily made. Ohh and did I mention that where I put this plot and plan to put my buck hut happens to be at least 1 mile in the woods. I can only get my truck within 150 yards of it which means I have to walk all supplies (wood for the hut, saws, tiller, wood for the hut, rakes, seed, oh and did I mention all the wood for the hut, and other items) to the area. I'm doing this all by my lazy self. I don't belong to a club so it'soneman doing a3 to 4 man job, however,I value the (hard work = reward) theory. But yea I'm just a lazy hunter who doesn't want to just walk in the woods to find my deer I just expect them to come to me.

Quick Reply: Stand Hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.