Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wool Suits

Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wool Suits

I have a Carter wool jacket that was my great uncles and a set of wool pants and a shirt (can't remember the name.) I wouldn't part with any of them. They are terrific on those cold New England hunts.

HH
Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 AM

My first outfit was a red and black checkered wool suit. It was awsome. It had different layers that you could put on. I never can remember getting cold in it, even when it got to -17 below. The only thing that I thaught was a draw back was whenitgot wet it became very very heavy. depending on the way you hunt, this can be a pain in the butt. To be truthful, I really liked that outfit but it is a little bit hard to walk in 14 ormore inches of snow for 1.5-2 miles each time you go out. (this is when I lived in upstate NY.)

I think we were lucky to get 6 inches of snow total this year in RI.
They are good suits, but just dont get them wet....good luck hunting.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I always use green Johnson wool pants and usually buy them in Johnson Vt at the factory store. Since I am a tracker and still hunter I usually cover lots of territory in a days hunt I dress light and usually wear an unlined Johnson wool jacket or jack shirt. Always warm but does get heavy when wet.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will use wool as the second layer covered by a como shell for the rifle season. Our rifle season the temps. can dip to -20 to-30. Wool is the way to go at these temps. When walking in wil have the shell off to allow for breathing and not sweating up but once in position the shell is on and you are nice and toasty.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 PM

My first hunting suit was a Woolrich that was my grandfathers.

I still have that hunting suit, it is probably 65 years old.

I have some newer pants - that are probably only about 40 years old.

I have a Orange coat and pants that were made at a place called IDEAL over in Sykesville PA.

I also have a newer Winchester hunting suit, 1 piece that came from the bargain rack at Kmart about 10 years ago. But I only wear that one when it gets really cold.

It's nick name is a fart bag.