Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips. >

TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

We are all concerned with staying safe and not geting hurt while hunting. Many use tree stands of various types to stand for deer. We've all heard it before - "There's 2 kinda stand hunters - those who have fallen and those who will." I hate that saying because if it bares true - I have a fall in my future.

So what can we do to eliminate or narrow the chances of a fall or injury occuring? (please use the quote feature button & number your tip)

1. Check the physical and mechanical condition of all parts of your stand before taking it afield. Make any repairs necessary.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

We are all concerned with staying safe and not geting hurt while hunting. Many use tree stands of various types to stand for deer. We've all heard it before - "There's 2 kinda stand hunters - those who have fallen and those who will." I hate that saying because if it bares true - I have a fall in my future.

So what can we do to eliminate or narrow the chances of a fall or injury occuring? (please use the quote feature button & number your tip)

1. Check the physical and mechanical condition of all parts of your stand before taking it afield. Make any repairs necessary.
2. Always use an approved, properly fitting and weight rated safety harness. While climbing up, standing and climbing down.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

2. Always use an approved, properly fitting and weight rated safety harness. While climbing up, standing and climbing down.
3. NEVER climb up or down from a stand with your gun or bow. Use a pull up cord and never pull up or lower a loaded firearm. Cover the muzzle of your barrel and pull up firearms with the muzzle DOWN! Also use a cord to pull up any other gear bags, etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

3. NEVER climb up or down from a stand with your gun or bow. Use a pull up cord and never pull up or lower a loaded firearm. Cover the muzzle of your barrel and pull up firearms with the muzzle DOWN!
4. Never use a pull up cord that is rated more than 25% of your weight. Should you fall you would not want a chance of being hung up in your cord.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

5. Make sure to only climb healthy trees with shaggy bark. Try to avoid smooth bark trees, especially when its wet.

I know of a couple people who climbed up smooth bark trees and their stand didnt get a good grip. Their stand, their equipment, and themselves all came sliding down from 15 feet up. Luckily there were no seriouse injuries.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:13 AM

6. Be sure to check for and clear steps/pegs of ice if possible prior to ascending and/or do not hunt that set-up that day.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a Treehopper belt when hanging stands! That's the best product I've ever bought - reduces set-up times, noise, and makes me feel 100% more secure while hanging a stand.

Other than that - get in-shape before season. I think too many guys go into the woods and are at heights they shouldn't be at. If you can't do a pull-up, how would you expect to get off the harness if you were stranded? The fall is only the beginning of you're problems! IMO - Fitness probably has more to do with accidents than any other factor!

Also, use a good stand. It is you're life you're putting on the thing!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Full body harness,prusic hitch with Summits system,where you are attached all the way up and all the way down,as Todd said a tree hopper belt or like belt for hanging stands.Treat it as serious as it is.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always make sure each time your stand bites the tree it has a good hold.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Never pee on your ladders, treesteps and pegs.

Quick Reply: TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.