Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Land size

Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Land size

ORIGINAL: jlphoy

Thanks for all the input. Pretty much confirms what I have thought. Get as much as i can afford and find.
I am facing a simular issue now. I have my eye on a piece of property behind my house thats 14 acres, but they want like 300K. I just dont think its worth it since zoning laws make it unbuildable. I think I could better for 300K.

Then you mind starts wondering, thinking maybe it would be best to buy something out west for much cheaper.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

damn! I paid $800/acre in '92 for my property
Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JimPic

damn! I paid $800/acre in '92 for my property
My friend 92 was a long time ago. Even in your area, I be you would have a hard time finding land for 5000/acre, espeically york county.

I think the lady wanting 300K is on crack. I told her, I would offer her 100K, since its unbuildable, but she seems to think she can get 2 good lots out of it, but what she doesn't know is the rightof way to it, goes thru my property, and the right of way is only 10ft, and a 10ft right of way can only support 2 houses. I already support mine and my nieghbors. No more.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is in Somerset Co.--big differance from York.A 3/4 acre building lot will cost you $30K here.The 10+ acres next to my lot just sold for $16K.I was gonna buy it but I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep my property or not at the time
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JimPic

This is in Somerset Co.--big differance from York.A 3/4 acre building lot will cost you $30K here.The 10+ acres next to my lot just sold for $16K.I was gonna buy it but I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep my property or not at the time
Oops, sorry, thought you were a york guy.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in York--but my cabin is in Somerset Co.

btw--the Baltimore shoot is coming up soon!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 AM

i would get as much as you can afford land prices are on the rise
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Look for some rural land. That's what I did. I got 187 acres for 1600 per acre.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 AM

I got lucky at birth. My father owns a 4000 acre ranch in Montana, which isn't even that big for where he lives, and it's full of deer all the time. I truly feel bad for everyone who has a tough time finding a place to hunt.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 AM

If I am hunting in the woods, I like to think of it as "how far can I possibly see." Then I like to add on about another 150 yds to that on each side of me.

lets say I can see 160 yds in the woods, I estimate that I would want to have 300 or more yds. of woods going in either direction from where my set up is. Estimate that 1 sq. acre is between 70-75 yds long X 70- 75 yds wide.
(just to be roughly close)
so if you needed 300 yds or so, you will need 4 acres going out from you in 4 different directions. Front, back, left, right.
So I figure for 1 person you should have atleast16 acres of woods ( just so you are not crowding each other too much and it will give your other hunters comfortable breathing room also.)

Now with all that being considered, These aremy caculations for stand hunting only. If you want to move around and do spot and stalks, then there could be need for some more land, if you dont want to be bumping into your buddies all the time.

I will say this however, you do not need alot of land to score on a deer. I have seen some of the largest deer in my woods stay right in an area of woods LESS THAN 5 ACRES. In other words, if you can get your hands on any decent land, never assume that because it is small that deer are not there.

I think you would be comfortable with 40 or more acres....this is because you will be hunting with a party of 3. Otherwise, if you were by yourself,you could hunt on 5 acres if you wanted. I just like to think about a comfortable space when Im hunting with my friends or family.

Quick Reply: Land size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.