HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer hunting with no scope. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/188205-deer-hunting-no-scope.html)

martinc64 04-13-2007 01:02 PM

Deer hunting with no scope.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I want to ask it anyway.

Does anyone hunt with iron sights anymore?

If you do hunt with iron sights could you tell me what rifle you are using and any other details of your hunting style you'd like to share.

bigcountry 04-13-2007 01:22 PM

RE: Deer hunting with no scope.

ORIGINAL: martinc64

Maybe this is a stupid question but I want to ask it anyway.

Does anyone hunt with iron sights anymore?

If you do hunt with iron sights could you tell me what rifle you are using and any other details of your hunting style you'd like to share.
I hunt like 5 different places. One I use a scope always. Its in the swamps and 100-200 yard shots are not uncommon. But its slug/muzzleloader only. So I generally wait until they are 100 yards in range. Behind my house, all shots are under 40 yards, I use an open sighted gun usually, with the exception of my pistol.

I like to keep my 270 7400 and my 45-70 lever, and percussion rifle unscoped just for my under 50 yards spots. All the others have 2X variables on. Some of my 300win's and STW's carry 3.5-10 for long range.

retrieverman 04-13-2007 03:12 PM

Open sights is the only ethical way to hunt. Scopes are cheating.

The Rifleman 04-13-2007 03:13 PM

One time in Pennsylvania, they had a special season on a red tag farm and you could hunt small game and deer at the same time.

I still had a deer tag and so I took my rifle.

All morning long, all I saw was pheasants.

So I took my rifle home and brought my Remington Model 1100 12 Ga.

The very first thing that I ran into - and you guessed it was a deer.

There was no time to change shells so I let it have it with all 3 shells of birdshot and it stopped the deer in its tracks.

I finished it off at close range and field dressed it and put it into my truck.

I then went back out and shot two fine looking pheasants.

All with the same gun and the same shells.

I tried hunting several times before that with a Model 94 Winchester 30 / 30 and a Model 99 Savage - 300 Savage and all I got was cold, tired and hungry.

I'm sure that if I had - to hunt with open sights that sooner or later I would have gotten one that was deaf, dumb and blind. But I could not get them if they were running like a bat out of hates, even if I had a machine gun.

I did get one doe that was gut shot and laying under a apple tree with that Model 94, but in my mind that doesn't count.

Rebel Hog 04-13-2007 04:11 PM

I did it for years in the hunting woods and the military untill my vision started to go south!:)

outdoorslover 04-13-2007 04:33 PM

I only hunt with open sights! I just muzzleload so that's all I can do, but even if it was legal to use a scope I wouldn't. I just prefer the challenge.

You should give it a try. It'll make you feel better after the harvest. I shoot a TC Omega. It's a great gun!

ConstructionWorker 04-13-2007 05:03 PM

It's alright I guess as long as you can see good.

HuntAway 04-13-2007 06:59 PM

Peeps work for me on my GPR or my Win 94

Colorado Luckydog 04-13-2007 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

One time in Pennsylvania, they had a special season on a red tag farm and you could hunt small game and deer at the same time.

I still had a deer tag and so I took my rifle.

All morning long, all I saw was pheasants.

So I took my rifle home and brought my Remington Model 1100 12 Ga.

The very first thing that I ran into - and you guessed it was a deer.

There was no time to change shells so I let it have it with all 3 shells of birdshot and it stopped the deer in its tracks.

I finished it off at close range and field dressed it and put it into my truck.

I then went back out and shot two fine looking pheasants.

All with the same gun and the same shells.

I tried hunting several times before that with a Model 94 Winchester 30 / 30 and a Model 99 Savage - 300 Savage and all I got was cold, tired and hungry.

I'm sure that if I had - to hunt with open sights that sooner or later I would have gotten one that was deaf, dumb and blind. But I could not get them if they were running like a bat out of hates, even if I had a machine gun.

I did get one doe that was gut shot and laying under a apple tree with that Model 94, but in my mind that doesn't count.
You let it have it with all three rounds of bird shot! Your'e kidding right!

travisville 04-13-2007 08:26 PM

iron sights on the old 30-30 and peep sights on a 300 savage