Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Drives...

Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Drives...

opinion is opinion. After scouting for most of the year. I am pretty sure I know some butof the patterns the deer are running but definitely not all. Especially as the rut approaches. I know guys whose scouting, and they may have done lots, has been waisted due to the wrong times to scout and hunt. This is why, I believe that most of us become more successful , as I like to say, "time in" occurs. This is definitely true after not spending years but decades hunting the same hunting locations. For Bow and ML I always track and stalk if I'm not in a tree stand. I have done this to assist both mychildren to learn the signs of the woods as well as to familiarize them with this the very yarge area that they are hunting. Yes there have been a couple of times where I have made a couple mile treck to get down wind and walk slowly in a push towards them. I had blaze taped their max. shooting distance and I had marked an are where I would becoming from as a no shoot zone. Has this system been successful? Just a couple of times out of manybut we have harvested a couple of does. Now that they are older we do not do this practise.Iwas trying to teach them to be sight hunters and not sound hunters (I've seen too many in my day that shoot on a break of a twig). This is easy to teach when they are at your side but comes a time when they will be on their own. As to full scale bush pushing...It is very dangerous and I would not be part of it. There have been people whom have invited me to go, (and I've seen some large groups of 15 or more) but this is not the hunting that I enjoy. I've seen numerous hunters get hurt using this method. I believe that if you put the time in, use both bow as well as ML seasons to assist you with further scouting, for rifle season you should never have to use a drive method. Some may say that in their area it is a nessecity but I could not comment for I am ignorant to their hunting location and I would be incorrect to make judgement on a situation where I am not familiar. What I do know is that it takes less skill and effort to pound through a bush than stealthly scout, locate, set up, and then harvest a deer clean and humainly by tracking and stalking a deer. I hope I have have not offended any one with my opinions.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 AM

In the hardwoods of Pennsylvania, the best way to hunt deer after the first day is by putting on a drive and having posters and drivers.

Just that most people here do not understand the principals of posting and driving.

When you become a driver, you give up your right to be a poster.

Your job is to move deer into the other hunters.

When I put on a drive, I start at one end of the woods and I push deer until I get to where the posters are at.

My problem with my family members is that when they see deer they quit driving because they want to shoot deer too. When you quit moving the deer, they will go in what ever direction that they want to go because there is nobody forcing them to move in your direction.

So here you are standing in one place waiting for the drivers to come out of the woods and waiting to see the deer, and the drivers are standing 1/2 a mile away because they saw a deer and they wanted to shoot it and it got away and you thought that they were going to put on a drive and the whole time - all they wanted to do was shoot a deer.

Driving deer only works when you have co operation from all the hunters in the party.

If you have 5 - 10 people, you can get 5 - 10 deer a day - if you do it right.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 AM

I wouldn't hunt any other way. Ya do mean drive up to ah deer and shot it?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

In the hardwoods of Pennsylvania, the best way to hunt deer after the first day is by putting on a drive and having posters and drivers.

Just that most people here do not understand the principals of posting and driving.

When you become a driver, you give up your right to be a poster.

Your job is to move deer into the other hunters.

When I put on a drive, I start at one end of the woods and I push deer until I get to where the posters are at.

My problem with my family members is that when they see deer they quit driving because they want to shoot deer too. When you quit moving the deer, they will go in what ever direction that they want to go because there is nobody forcing them to move in your direction.

So here you are standing in one place waiting for the drivers to come out of the woods and waiting to see the deer, and the drivers are standing 1/2 a mile away because they saw a deer and they wanted to shoot it and it got away and you thought that they were going to put on a drive and the whole time - all they wanted to do was shoot a deer.

Driving deer only works when you have co operation from all the hunters in the party.

Why not hunt the deer? Or maybe you need the meat, and will starve without?

Yea, I don't blame ya for coming up with a new profile just yesterday.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You and your hunting party must practice the "if it's brown; it's down" method of quality deer management.LOL! I have killed 3 does in one hunt and don't want to face that much deer cleaning at one time ever again. I can't imagine 5-10 staring me in the face.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 PM

How can I put this - so that you will understand?

I am a forum moderator at another site.

While doing a goggle search for information for an article that I was writing I came across this site. It seemed like a pretty nice site so I joined.

I made3 or 4posts and left.

A day goes by and instead of people saying
"Hi and Welcome to the Forum"

You said look at his post - he must be somebody else and changed his name or something.

What a bunch of bungholes.

I live in Pennsylvania;most of the land in Pennsylvania is public property.
There is no way that you can control who shoots what. They can go wherever they please, as long as they stay off posted property.

People can shoot anything they want - as long as it has the right amount of points.
There are an almost unlimited number of doe tags ( 1 Buck tag + 1 doe tag + a bonus tag if you applied and your application was picked ) + DMAP tags and RedTag Farms - with free antlerless permits, and very few deer left because of it.

You got to shoot them when you see them, and if you shoot it - you gut it. This is not hunting on a farm or a game preserve or a lease like you must be doing.

I live in a 4-point area. That means that unless the BUCK has 4 points on one antler, a point beingmore than 1 inch long - you cannot shoot it.

It could be a MONSTER 6 point - 3 x 3 and you cannot shoot it unless you are a disabled hunter or a youth - below the age of 18!

The problem with leaving does walk is that even if you let it go, the next hunter down the trailwill probablyshoot it anyways.

Our Rifle season is only 2 weeks long and you cannot hunt on Sundays. That means that you have no more than 12 days to get your deer and there is no exceptions for the weather.

That means that if you have a job, do not have any vacation, the only time you can hunt is the first day and the two Saturdays. 3 days to get a deer.

My family takes off the whole first week.

The first day of Rilfe Deer Seasonin Pennsylvaniais a State Holiday.

The Steel Mills and the Coal Mines and the Timber Industry all close down for the day, along with most of the factories and the manufacturing industries.

In my section of woods, I heardabout 400 shots the first day of Rifle season and only saw 3 deer.

The second day I heard about 150 shots before noon and only saw 2 deer.

The third day I heard 40 shots and only saw 1 deer.

When I went to the grocery store, the bank, Church: -everyone was bragging how they shot a doe right off the bat on the first day so they would have some meat in the freezer.

Then if they wanted to - they could go out and hunt bucks the rest of the season. All they wanted was the meat.

Funny thing was as soon as it got cold or wet or windy - they were the same people that stayed home.

My family will not shoot a doe until the first Saturday and will not shoot one unless the person is going to use the meat and it is cold enough to put it in storage or take it to a processor that can cut it for us.

Our processor is Amish and he does not have refrigeration - so if it gets above 50* outside - chances are that you are going to loose your deer.

This Amish mancuts a deer for $25 and he makes jerky and bologna and wieners and kielbasa and pepper sticks for $1.50 a pound.

So the next time you buy that little 4 oz bag of jerky at Wal Mart for $5 - you can just remember that I got 3 pounds of meat for the same amount of money.

I had whole deer cut up and processed for $80!

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can I put this - so that you will understand?

I am a forum moderator at another site.

While doing a goggle search for information for an article that I was writing I came across this site. It seemed like a pretty nice site so I joined.

I made3 or 4posts and left.

A day goes by and instead of people saying
"Hi and Welcome to the Forum"

You said look at his post - he must be somebody else and changed his name or something.

What a bunch of bungholes.

I live in Pennsylvania;most of the land in Pennsylvania is public property.
There is no way that you can control who shoots what. They can go wherever they please, as long as they stay off posted property.

People can shoot anything they want - as long as it has the right amount of points.
There are an almost unlimited number of doe tags ( 1 Buck tag + 1 doe tag + a bonus tag if you applied and your application was picked ) + DMAP tags and RedTag Farms - with free antlerless permits, and very few deer left because of it.

You got to shoot them when you see them, and if you shoot it - you gut it. This is not hunting on a farm or a game preserve or a lease like you must be doing.

I live in a 4-point area. That means that unless the BUCK has 4 points on one antler, a point beingmore than 1 inch long - you cannot shoot it.

It could be a MONSTER 6 point - 3 x 3 and you cannot shoot it unless you are a disabled hunter or a youth - below the age of 18!

The problem with leaving does walk is that even if you let it go, the next hunter down the trailwill probablyshoot it anyways.

Our Rifle season is only 2 weeks long and you cannot hunt on Sundays. That means that you have no more than 12 days to get your deer and there is no exceptions for the weather.

That means that if you have a job, do not have any vacation, the only time you can hunt is the first day and the two Saturdays. 3 days to get a deer.

My family takes off the whole first week.

The first day of Rilfe Deer Seasonin Pennsylvaniais a State Holiday.

The Steel Mills and the Coal Mines and the Timber Industry all close down for the day, along with most of the factories and the manufacturing industries.

In my section of woods, I heardabout 400 shots the first day of Rifle season and only saw 3 deer.

The second day I heard about 150 shots before noon and only saw 2 deer.

The third day I heard 40 shots and only saw 1 deer.

When I went to the grocery store, the bank, Church: -everyone was bragging how they shot a doe right off the bat on the first day so they would have some meat in the freezer.

Then if they wanted to - they could go out and hunt bucks the rest of the season. All they wanted was the meat.

Funny thing was as soon as it got cold or wet or windy - they were the same people that stayed home.

My family will not shoot a doe until the first Saturday and will not shoot one unless the person is going to use the meat and it is cold enough to put it in storage or take it to a processor that can cut it for us.

Our processor is Amish and he does not have refrigeration - so if it gets above 50* outside - chances are that you are going to loose your deer.

This Amish mancuts a deer for $25 and he makes jerky and bologna and wieners and kielbasa and pepper sticks for $1.50 a pound.

So the next time you buy that little 4 oz bag of jerky at Wal Mart for $5 - you can just remember that I got 3 pounds of meat for the same amount of money.

I had whole deer cut up and processed for $80!

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum!
Rifleman
If you are who I think you are from the site that I think you are from, I hope you take offense to everything posted here and leave. You are not in a position on this site to ban someone for no reason. You are better off staying where the members think you are somebody (and take wolfhound with you).

By the way, I process my own deer and make my own sausage and jerky, so $80 per deer sounds high to me. Between my son and I, we killed 11 deer in 2 states, and by my math, that is $880. I can use that savings to justify my $750 taxidermy bill to my wife. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Bartender

We do them up in Northern Wisconsin after opening weekend of gun season. I hate the groups that do them
during the opening weekend. But I understand some can only hunt that weekend but what about the other guy
that likes his solitude. Almost all of the opening weekends I have hunted up there since 1984 they were moving
anyways on opening weekend. Starting Monday it usually gets quiet until Thanksgiving then it seems like a mini opener again with lots of movement.
Yes we have gotten plenty of deer during drives.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I don't like deer drives. I used to be involved in them, but it just seemed like rapeing the woods.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Raping the woods.Yall must have been so good at driving deer that you killed every deer that came by.In that case you did the right thing by stoping.

Quick Reply: Deer Drives...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.