Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Drives...

Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Deer Drives...

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Yea, I have been on deer drives. Yea, they work. I find them annoying and basic slob hunting. I do not call it hunting, but driving. Hunting to me is learning deer sign, and how to read it, doing your homework, and it paying off. Hunting is sneaking in that critters home and him not knowing it. Driving is basically stranding an animal, giving him very little way out. I would love to see it banned, myself. I killed a large 8 point 10 years ago on a drive. And I was never proud of that kill.
You would love to see driving deer banned!! I still can't believe some of thethings I read on this site from fellow hunters. Slob hunting?? Come down here to Southeast VA and hunt some of these swamps and thick woods andsee how much deer movement you see during daylight hours after the first week or two of gunseason. For the first 6 weeks of season(archery and blackpowder) we stand hunt, then for the first couple of weeks of gun season we stand hunt, after things slow down the last few weeks of season we stand hunt in the morning and do drives during the day and then sometimes sit on a stand againjust before dark. My dad, my brother and I have been doing two or three man slow push drives for as long as I can remember, we must be no talent/skill slob hunters. "Hunting is learning deer sign, how to read it, doing your homework,"and all of those things still apply if you want to do a successful drive. Like any of that is real hard to do anyway, like killing a deer in a stand is so difficult and hard to do, yeah right. Next time you kill a deer take a look at the size of its brain, killing them is not that hard unless you make it that way or live where there are low numbers. Quotes like the one abovemay be justopinions butthey arealso direct attacks and aninsult toanyone who may be used to that style hunting or have been brought up in a region where that is a common practice. Is itimpossible to state your opinion, that you don't like driving deer, without adding that itin your mind it is slob hunting and should be banned?

Hunting to me is learning deer sign, and how to read it, doing your homework, and it paying off. Hunting is sneaking in that critters home and him not knowing it.
The most important part of that quote is the first three words. Is it so hard to understand that justbecause you don't like it or it isn't hunting to you doesn't mean that others might consider it hunting and actually enjoy it and take offense to your above comments? Don't get me wrong you are certainly entitled to your opinion it just seems like more and more oftenon this site and others that the contents of manyopinionsconsistsof bashing other hunters more than anything else.
Sorry you got your feelings hurt. Most every hunter I know, feels this way. You dont.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My feelings hurt?? You stated an opinion and I statedone in opposition, maybe you misread, not surprising that seems to be a common occurence for you if I am remembering correctly. I think it was obvious from my post that I don't feel that way and I doubt every hunter feels that way. But I guess if every hunter "you" know feels that way there area lot more holier-than-thou hunters out there than I realized, or maybe it's justan epidemic in your area. Probably something in the water up there.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You would love to see driving deer banned!! I still can't believe some of thethings I read on this site from fellow hunters. Slob hunting?? Come down here to Southeast VA and hunt some of these swamps and thick woods andsee how much deer movement you see during daylight hours after the first week or two of gunseason. For the first 6 weeks of season(archery and blackpowder) we stand hunt, then for the first couple of weeks of gun season we stand hunt, after things slow down the last few weeks of season we stand hunt in the morning and do drives during the day and then sometimes sit on a stand againjust before dark.

I agree NEW... We do our scouting... Take full advantage of the limited hunting pressure during bow season and do fill many tags that way as well.
I'd like to see many of these people come up here and continuallykill deer w/ out driving after the first to days of shotgun season up here. Hunting land is limited and there are tons of hunters...
I certainly wouldn't consider myself a slob... nor the others I hunt with. We are all very successful hunters in our area.
I take offense to that.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here some folks do it, but, it is illegal to drive deer in this state. But, I like to try and stalk after them anyways and have been quite successfull of it. No need for me to change.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a hard time dealing with the drives on public land last year,and was wishing it were banned.Ya get a couple hundred acres with 4-5 guys in there sitting and thats too crowded for me already.Now all of a sudden theres 30 more hooping and hollaring,throwing beer cans all over the woods,and blasting everything that moves.Those are slobs.And id keep walking if i saw one of them wounded in the field.He got what he asked for.A 2-3 man slow boost doesnt bother me much.Those deer will be back in a few hours.I realy dont even call that a drive.Im sure alot of the huffy responces are triggered by the same thing.Big crews make hunters look bad.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is amazing to me that so many hunters on this forum feel that any hunting other than the way they do things isn't really hunting at all. [&:]

I personally have never stand hunted, but I am not running around saying that anyone that stand hunts is too lazy to get out and do some walking. In different parts of the country different techniques work better than others. Some techniques (like stand hunting) don't work at all in some parts of the country.

In eastern Montana where I grew up you are not going to be very successful stand hunting unless you are in a river bottom system on private land. Hunting mule deer where there are 5 deer per square mile and you are covering 10 square miles in a day on public land it works pretty well to set one or two people at the end of a draw and have one poor sucker walk down through the brush and pushing deer down thedraw. About 1/2 the time there aren't even any deer in that draw. About 1/2 the time you do see deer, the only deer you see are does. Maybe 1 out of 20 draws that you work you will see a decent buck. MAYBE.

I have no doubt that I could work a draw by myselfand have a good chance at getting close enough to shoot a deer if I worked it slow enough. But it would take maybe 1/2 a day to work one draw. Using 2 or 3 guys you can work a draw in an hour or so and move on if there are no deer there. Working one by yourself you are going to take 1/2 a day and there may not even be any deer in there and you will always be 2nd guessing yourself whether you did something wrong and they moved out or if there really weren't any in there to begin with.

And it's not like it is a slaughter or anything. There are still plenty of times when the deer just do something wierd and go up the wrong side of the draw or the wind swirls and they catch the scent of the guy waiting or something like that.

Just because someone is doing things different than you are doesn't mean they are a slob and a lazy hunter. [&:]

My two cents. Nathan
Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is illegal in some states or areas then of course they shouldn't be doing it there. Also on most of the public land I hunt drives are not allowed for safety reasons (not knowing where every hunter is) and I can understand that too but on private property(or public property if allowed)under controlled/safe circumstances, I'm all for it.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

I had a hard time dealing with the drives on public land last year,and was wishing it were banned.Ya get a couple hundred acres with 4-5 guys in there sitting and thats too crowded for me already.Now all of a sudden theres 30 more hooping and hollaring,throwing beer cans all over the woods,and blasting everything that moves.Those are slobs.And id keep walking if i saw one of them wounded in the field.He got what he asked for.A 2-3 man slow boost doesnt bother me much.Those deer will be back in a few hours.I realy dont even call that a drive.Im sure alot of the huffy responces are triggered by the same thing.Big crews make hunters look bad.
That is a bad situation and definitely not safe. I've never been exposed to something like that but have no doubt it occurs. Those guys are slob hunters regardless of if they are doing drives or not probably.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is hilarious! If you participate in deer drives, they are great and an excellent way to "hunt", BUT if you don't, the participants are "slob hunters" or should not even be considered hunters at all. I personally put deer drives in the same catagory as baiting (which I am not a fan of but do some myself for hunting hogs and does). Drives and baiting both increase the chance of see a deer due to altering the deer's natural behavior. I think we will all agree that it would be "best" to hunt a scrape or game trail, but for those of us with limited time or several "management" tags, increasing the odds with either drives or baiting is the best options.

I ain't throwing rocks at nobody due to how they want to kill their deer. This sport is supposed to be fun, but some of us get way to serious about the methods of others.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

My feelings hurt?? You stated an opinion and I statedone in opposition, maybe you misread, not surprising that seems to be a common occurence for you if I am remembering correctly. I think it was obvious from my post that I don't feel that way and I doubt every hunter feels that way. But I guess if every hunter "you" know feels that way there area lot more holier-than-thou hunters out there than I realized, or maybe it's justan epidemic in your area. Probably something in the water up there.
New, I stated my opinion, you stated yours. There's no reason to try to get personal. You don't like my opinion, I don't like yours. Just the way life is.

Quick Reply: Deer Drives...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.