Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AmyRose
Absolutely a problem with this. I think the real problem is parents who are allowing their children to shoot record class bucks at such a young age.
If the kid can make the shot, who cares if it's a "record class" buck or not?

Sounds like someone is a little jelly.

If the whole thing is a learning experience and the kids are taught respect, shown how much work it is to bring out of the woods, dress, etc. what's the difference between them taking the shot and the parent taking the shot? There is none.

Next time you take your kid fishing, don't take the fish off the hook for them... they won't learn anything. Also, when you're starting to make dinner tonight, only make enough for yourself. Your kids need to learn to respect how much work goes into preparing a meal. In fact, send them to the grocery store with a list and make them get the food themselves... or only let them buy food with money they have earned. That'll teach them something about life.

Anyway, as long as it's legal, I see no issues whatsoever. You raise your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way. Some of you should just pipe down and not worry about others so much, it's unbecoming.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Chopayne
You know whats funny, he guy who originally wrote this posted it back in 2002 and hasn't been back in years. I don't know how it got revived again.

So I just saw a post where some guy said the minimum age to hunt is 10, not 14 as it was changed 10 years ago. It might be because that guy wrote the post 10 years ago = )
Ya think, LOL! Ya got me on that one as 2002 and 2012 are too close number wise to even notice once a thread gets going like this one.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AmyRose
Absolutely a problem with this. I think the real problem is parents who are allowing their children to shoot record class bucks at such a young age.
***Say what!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Spike

Rule around every camp I've been to is "everybody gets one." I didn't skin the first deer I took but I certainly helped. After watching it preformed, I used my money from my 13th birthday (the next month) and bought myself a 100 dollar knife and the rest, with my parents help, bought my .243 that I still use to this day. Now I'm 17 with a number of animals on my belt and always learning.
Like it was previously mentioned, paraphrasing of course, 'killing should be taught by a mentor', but hunting is all about independence and trial and error.

I think what defines someone as truly ready to hunt is when they can be deemed responsible and trustworthy enough to go entirely solo. I traveled mile out numerous times, finally got my first bowkill, tracked through the dark, and hauled it back by hand. I think that one night of all others matured,humbled, and humiliated me more than any other. If you cannot trust them on their own, then they aren't really ready to "hunt" but rather to kill.

Last edited by fishreaper; 04-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fishreaper
Rule around every camp I've been to is "everybody gets one." I didn't skin my first deer I took but I certainly helped. After watching it preformed, I used my money from my 13th birthday (the next month) and bought myself a 100 dollar knife and the rest, with my parents help, bought my .243 that I still use to this day. Now I'm 17 with a number of animals on my belt and always learning.
Like it was previously mentioned, paraphrasing of course, 'killing should be taught by a mentor', but hunting is all about independence and trial and error.

I think what defines someone as truly ready to hunt is when they can be deemed responsible and trustworthy enough to go entirely solo. I traveled mile out numerous times, finally got my first bowkill, tracked through the dark, and hauled it back by hand. I think that one night of all others matured,humbled, and humiliated me more than any other. If you cannot trust them on their own, then they aren't really ready to "hunt" but rather to kill.

***Pretty good thoughts from a youngun and you'd certainly fit in my camp any dang time!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Spike

Kgkoon, I think you bring up a good point. I have similar thoughts about kids and guns. I think it's great for kids to learn to shoot, but to have their own gun... As an adult, I have to work to earn the money to buy the gun, the license, the ammo, the locks, the safe, the carry case, the range time, the headphones, the safety glasses, the gun cleaning materials, the targets, any training courses that are required for licensure...

There is some indication of responsibility there. I am NOT saying that having money is what makes someone responsible. But handing something to someone... That's different.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by worst hunter in the world
Kgkoon, I think you bring up a good point. I have similar thoughts about kids and guns. I think it's great for kids to learn to shoot, but to have their own gun... As an adult, I have to work to earn the money to buy the gun, the license, the ammo, the locks, the safe, the carry case, the range time, the headphones, the safety glasses, the gun cleaning materials, the targets, any training courses that are required for licensure...

There is some indication of responsibility there. I am NOT saying that having money is what makes someone responsible. But handing something to someone... That's different.
Thats why your the worst hunter in the world your parents didnt take you hunting
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

Originally Posted by worst hunter in the world

You're telling us your kids have to provide their own food, clothes, books, toys, school supplies? What about medical and dental care, etc.?

A substantial part of being a parent is providing the tools to learn the kinds of skills you think they should learn. Do you intend to wait until their old enough to pay for their own shooting supplies, licenses, and so on?

Childhood is the time you spend learning to be an adult. And teaching the child to be an adult is a parent's responsibility.

I'll bet you'll buy them video games won't you? I'll bet you pay for cable TV so you and your kids can sit around numbing your brains.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you two put him in his place because I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that he even made that post!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taking a kid deer hunting is far better IMO than letting them have an Iphone...

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.